PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Does anybody here have any information if this blend will be produced again? Last year i purchased two tins and smoked through them quickly, because i was told or read somewhere, that this blend will make the regular production line and will not be a small batch in the future.
I was looking forward to getting some more. It's a great DFK blend, with some sweetness too. I was hoping it would be available in bulk.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Go straight to the horse's mouth as it were. Shoot SPC an email. I'm sure they can give you some answers about it.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
That is actually a great idea, im going to email them. I figured a lot of the inside employees hang out here, and would be able to clarify on what going on with this blend. I hope what i heard was not a rumor, and it does make the regular production.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
No word yet on availability, in the time being, i am enjoying Redburn for my Burley DFK itch. This is another kick ass blend with not much hype around it, C&D is seriously killing it this year.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Guys, we're not going to make any promises on a run of Sansepolcro for in 2018, but just this morning we received some samples of Dark Fired Kentucky from Italy for the purposes of producing another batch. We'll see how it goes!
As far as ongoing availability goes, we'd discussed it some as an option, but never planned on making it so.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Thanks for that note. It has very quickly risen to one of my absolute favorite blends. So different. The blend truly stands alone. Well done sir.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Does anybody here have any information if this blend will be produced again?
Apparently, Ted and I were writing at the same time. I'll go ahead and post what I was going to say since it adds some detail:
Yes, but we're not exactly sure when. Hopefully before terribly long.
We exhausted our supply of (crazy special) Italian Dark Fired that we used as the distinctive condimental component for this. We can get more from the same farm, but it's a process and just taking longer than we anticipated because a) it's not from a regular supplier, b) the only production product that uses it is Sansepolcro (the other one was Savinelli 140th, but that was a one-off, of which there is still some available in the market), which means we need to directly import a relatively small quantity (a little dark fired goes kind of a long way) directly from a small Italian company/farm.
While Sansepolcro is planned to happen in the future, it's so dependent on one hard-to-source varietal that requires a lot of work when it gets here that it's the sort of thing that we'll make a bunch of on an irregular basis rather than keep in regular production. As in, it's basically a limited release thing we'll do over and over as we can rather than something we can reasonably try to keep on shelves regularly.
I'm so glad to hear that you like it. It's a blend that's near and dear to us. I met the folks that grow and cure it (and make Italian-style cigars) a few years ago through a mutual friend and I was so excited about it that I brought back samples to Jeremy to create something with. We think it's one of the finest things we've ever done and one of the few blends that we've built around particular leaf we've run across.
As an addendum to Ted's post:
Ted mentioned samples hitting his desk this morning. Since we last bought DFK from them in early 2016, we need to make sure that one of the handful of grades and crops that they have available now matches what we used for the first couple of runs of Sansepolcro. As I said, tiny batches of distinctive condimental leaf directly imported from a small farm is a complicated, lengthy process.
Sykes

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Wow good news! Thanks for the update. Looking forward to smoking the new batch, when all comes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.