PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I heard that C&D prices would be increasing effective November 1st.
My understanding is that they will be instituting a minimum price at which retailers may sell their blends, much like MacB recently did. My further understanding is that this would extend to other brands that are blended and distributed by C&D, including G L Pease.
Beyond that I have no details.
Has anyone heard any details on the amount of the increase?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Wow, big surprise that prices would go up at this time of year... before Christmas...and then they can afford to have their holiday "sales"...which I'm looking forward to.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
I find myself a bit more tolerant of pipe-related price increases than most others.

It's like we're all in this together. If they need a price increase, and it helps keep the hobby alive and grows the number of new carvers and blends then I say (a subdued) Booya!

(and besides Peck, might be wrong - there is always a first time)
Plugugly

Dec 24, 2012
and besides Peck, might be wrong - there is always a first time
I may indeed. Just what I heard through the grapevine. To be clear, I have not heard anything offical.
Still, I may place an order for the new Vanilla Cream and some others before this Sunday arrives, er, just in case.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
C&D isn't raising prices. The U.S. distributor for C&D, G.L. Pease, Castello, Two Friends, and Captain Earle'e, has enacted a Minimum Advertised Pricing policy (or Maximum Discount policy), which means that in some cases some retailers will be forced to raise their prices. This has nothing to do with the fact that Christmas is around the corner and C&D is looking to make a quick buck.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
So basically the parent company for Smoking Pipes was tired of other online retailers undercutting them on price?
I personally don't like when companies do this, and I don't support companies that do.
Please consider the order I received from SmokingPipes.com today to be my last.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I think 10.00 for 2oz is quite a fair price. many other companies charge more for a 50g tin.

Dec 24, 2012
C&D isn't raising prices. The U.S. distributor for C&D, G.L. Pease, Castello, Two Friends, and Captain Earle'e, has enacted a Minimum Advertised Pricing policy (or Maximum Discount policy) . . .
The distributor of C&D is Laudisi Distribution Group ("LDG"), and both C&D and LDG (and smokingpipes.com, for that matter) are wholly-owned by Laudisi Enterprises, Inc.
I am not trying to quibble with the distinction Ted is making, and I am not even saying I have an issue with the decision, but whether this decision was made by C&D or by LDG is, I would suggest, a distinction without a difference, since C&D and LDG share the same ownership and control. In other words, this really isn't a situation where an arm's length party (the "distributor") is making this decision separate and apart from C&D, because the reality is that both companies are in the same corporate group.
In any event, I am more interested in learning the details of the minimum pricing and what practical impact it will have on retailer pricing.
I think 10.00 for 2oz is quite a fair price. many other companies charge more for a 50g tin.
If indeed $10 for a 2 0z tin is the new minimum price I would agree. However, I have not heard anything about what the new minimum price will be.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
Ted reached out to me via PM with a little bit more of an explanation, I won't post his reply here although he can if he'd like.
Even with further explanation, I still view this as something that favors one group of retailers over another and changes the way things are done for everyone based upon the requests of one group.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Peck, your point is fair. I didn't intend for my comment to imply that there was this huge gulf between C&D and LDG, but the two companies have different objectives and different customers, and both could arrive at a decision like raising prices for two entirely different reasons. Thus I thought the distinction was valid.
As far as prices go, you ought not see a 2oz tin of C&D listed for less than $9.56, and you ought not see a regular 2oz tin of Pease listed for less than $10.41.

Dec 24, 2012
Even with further explanation, I still view this as something that favors one group of retailers over another and changes the way things are done for everyone based upon the requests of one group.
I view it as nothing more than a business decision. C&D produces the product and LDG distributes it. They have every right to implement any pricing strategy that they conclude makes sense, in light of their business objectives. Once they have made that decision, consumers can decide whether it will impact their buying decision or not.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
Peck, I agree with you 100%. I believe that they have every right to do with their business as they see fit and enact any business strategies they see as worthwhile. I believe I also have the right to disagree with their strategies and practices.
In the grand scheme of things its probably not that big of a deal, its just a practice that bothers me.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
No problem with helping another man make money. Especially since C&D Is the worlds top pipe tobacco maker in the world. IMHO

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
So looks like .50 to $1 more for a 2 oz. tin; definitely not the end of the world. More than happy to pay that for some tasty G.L. Pease blends.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mac Baren, McClelland, C&D, GL Pease ... it does not matter who is raising their current prices or why.
The bottom line is that tobacco will NEVER get any cheaper ... stock up! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.