PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
So, I ordered 3 lbs. of OJK during this last sale. This is an old standby for me, but admittedly, it's been awhile since I needed to order any. Seems they changed the cut though. My older stock seems to be much more coarse, chunky cut vs. the new which is very ribbon.
Has anyone else noticed a change in the cut? Am I just imagining this?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I hadn't noticed (just got a new order in), but by the power of suggestion, sure, maybe it is more ribbony. :mrgreen:

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Have not noticed, but I haven't opened any new tins lately
I think that was my issue. All the stock I am smoking is over 5 years old. So comparing the old and new side by side... the new definitely seems more... uniform in cut would be a good way to put it.
Might not be a bad thing. Will see when I smoke some.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
skraps, how does it taste at 5 years old?
Amazing. The VA's in it age nicely. Ramps up the natural sweetness to my taste buds. It's a really nice interplay between the heavy duty Burleys and Perique.
I have a 1 lb. tin from 2009 that is next to be opened. I can't wait to try that.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
OJK is a regular for me, but I haven't noticed any change in the cut. I'm smoking the last of my stash from Jan 2015. I think I'll change to Haunted Bookshop on my next order when the OJK stash is gone. My reasoning is that Haunted Bookshop has less perique. Recently perique has been causing me to cough more then normal. Since Haunted Bookshop is OJK's little brother, I may have less of a problem.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Interesting, Ray. For some reason, HB never really worked for me. Not sure if something was missing (Perique) or if the balance was off. I might have to revisit though, it has been awhile since I smoked it.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
If you compare current production (not just OJK, but all C&D loose blends) to five years ago, the cuts have gradually changed over time to be thinner and more regular. Over the past few years, we did a couple of big overhauls on the cutting equipment that let us get thinner cuts. It's been a gradual process of getting it better, so while someone who buys a given blend regularly might not notice it, someone who is returning to it after a few years would probably notice a difference.
Sykes

Status
Not open for further replies.