leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Quick question to the knowing. I ordered this,

003-016-0178.jpg

but I received this.

20141206_161730.jpg

My first thought was the generic label is tinned bulk baccy and the artwork label is the production run. Does anybody know if there are any differences, other than the label, between these and other C&D tins labeled differently?

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Looks like the graphic arts department of Laudisi has been engaged. :)
Though the new labels leave something to be desired, I like them better than the cartoons.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like the cartoons. Some of the other company labels just look too clinical.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I suspect the newer tin art is less costly to produce. Perhaps the designer of the C&D tin art wants more money? Too bad too because I believe tin art draws many of us to a tobacco blend.
Mike S.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Seems like the simple labels are only for some of the older, less popular mixtures? Or perhaps those not in a special series? Based on a look at the SmokingPipes site, a more special treatment is in hand for at least some mixtures:
003-016-0096.jpg

003-016-0199.jpg

003-016-0131.jpg

003-016-0201.jpg

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I bet this is less about paying the artist and more about marketing. The cartoony stuff has always put some folks off. I'm sure Laudisi is going for broad appeal here, and clean lines are a means to that end.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I've never had CBB and I figured if I didn't like the blend at least there will be some whimsical artwork.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Hey guys,
It has nothing to do with saving money on the art: even if we did think like that (which we don't), it was already owned by C&D. And there's no production cost difference between artsy labels and simpler labels: full color printing is full color printing.
We're just trying to organize the line a little bit so that it's more intelligible and manageable for C&D's customers. I'm not sure how obvious this is because we've been doing it in bits and pieces (largely because it's something of an epic project). I think Captain Bob's is the only one that went from having a cartoon label to the standardized label; the other cartoon labels have either been refreshed slightly (the Simply Elegant series), completely redone (the Servicemen series; Autumn Evening; Briar Fox), or have yet to be reworked, though we have plans to do so.
C&D's catalog is massive. It used to be slightly more massive, but it's still huge. We're trying to group things into series, each of which has some common theme, and make sure everything has artwork; we're also trying to maintain the feel of the original artwork while sprucing it up. Since we've been doing it piecemeal, the end goal probably isn't all that intuitively obvious, but that's all we're trying to do.
As for the blends, nothing has changed.
Best,
Sykes

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Thank you for the information Sykes! Captain Bob just PM'd me so hopefully he will see your post.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something had to change when C&D moved. Cornell & Diehl's shop in Morganton was, I understand, quite

small, a real mom and pop operation. Smokingpipes isn't large, but it has more staff and resources.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
The GLP original mixture labels (at least) were moderately reworked... I think this coincided with the use of the flatter tins.
Hearth & Home used to have a white label with green text, IIRC.
Did G&H always use the the green labels, or was that rolled out sometime after Y2K?

Status
Not open for further replies.