PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Curious to hear which of these two has stronger taste or higher in nicotine, I do believe Old Joe is more Burley forward blend ,nevertheless I assume both two have a significant amount of perique in them,, any thoughts ?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
These are my daily smokes. Both are fairly strong in taste and in nicotine. Both have Perique, Burley and VA in them, but in different proportions.
Old Joe has more red VA than bright, and a ton of Perique. It has a darker, tangy flavor.
Haunted Bookshop has some bright VA and just a touch of Perique. I'd say it has more of the typical "nutty" burley flavor you might expect than you'd get form Old Joe.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
This question crossed my mind a few weeks ago when I was getting together an order. I've smoked both OJK & HB and always considered OJK to be the strongest. I wanted to lessen my perique intake and read on TR that C&D's Three Friars is the little cousin, so to speak, of OJK & HB. I took a chance and ordered a pound of Three Friars and I can honestly say that it is in the same ballpark as OJK & HB but with less of a nicotine kick and the perique in this blend is not harsh as it is in OJK & HB. Great for a last smoke at bedtime because it won't keep me up and will give me the same taste as I get in OJK & HB.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I like them both,but if I could only have 1 of them it would be Haunted Bookshop.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@ray47

Thanks for the heads-up on 3 Friars. It caught my attention a long time ago, but I never bought any.

Seems like many of the reviewers agree with you. Time to give it a try.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I was going to do a thread about Haunted Bookshop and the Dark Fired Kentucky. Has it always had dark fired?
Anyway, OJK more perique and burley, Haunted Bookshop More Red Virginia and balanced. There Friars Bright orange Virginia, dark fired and perique. I smoke a lot of all three, these are the go to.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Though stronger in my opinion, I always preferred OJK to HB. Not sure why, just enjoyed the flavor more.
3 Friars is another great blend. I think I was in a similar situation to Cortez. It caught my eye, but I always passed it by. Last year I pulled the trigger and was pleasantly surprised.
Want another winner... get yourself some Night Train.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Night Train!!!! YES!!! I prefer this to Gaslight though I have to say my NT has some age on it.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Night Train!!!! YES!!! I prefer this to Gaslight though I have to say my NT has some age on it.
Someone gave me some Night Train with I think about 3 years of age on it. It was black as... Night (pun intended) and was delicious. Good stuff right out of the tin though, IMO.
My only real issue with Night Train is the prep. I prefer my NT rubbed out and this can be quite a process if you are trying to prep a decent amount. I seriously wonder how well it would slice on a deli slicer. :D

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
After smoking a few bowls of each this evening, OJK is sweeter then HB,but I still like them both for what they are.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
After smoking a few bowls of each this evening, OJK is sweeter then HB
+1 to this. I would attribute this to the rather high proportion of Red VA content. HB is more musty/earthy.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I smoke both daily; Haunted Bookshop in the late A.M. hours, OJK in the afternoon. Purchases show I buy OJK 3 to 1 over HB but of late my consumption is nearly equal. The heavier perique and the dark burleys give OJK the lead in nicotine boost, while its Red Virginia makes it a tad sweeter than the HB.
OJK is now my desert island smoke (Engine 99 since mid 2015 has lost my favor).

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I think I've come to a conclusion, I enjoy Haunted Bookshop more than OJK. I know I've said this above, but I've been doing a lot smoking of these two blends, and I really think Haunted abookshop is better to my taste.
Have to add that I really enjoy a pinch of OJK in the bottom of the bowl covered with HB.

Status
Not open for further replies.