PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I picked up 2 ounces of C&D Haunted Bookshop a few weeks ago on a whim. I fell in love half way through the first bowl. It was named perfectly. The room note reminds me of old paper or cardboard and the slight musty smell I associate with used book stores that have books older than me on their shelves. I have tried several premium burley blends but have never noticed that much differance between them and Carter Hall.
I am looking for some suggestions for my next TAD purchase that are similar to haunted Bookshop. I was thinking of picking up some Old Joe Krantz because I think C&D blend burley to my liking. Does anyone have any experience with old joe or any other C&D burley blends they would recommend?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I too am fond of burley. Haven't tried those C&D blends yet, but they are both on my TAD wish-list. I just need to lay off the tobacco buying for awhile due to a recent binge... I've been smoking Mac Baren's Golden Extra and London Burley lately and enjoy both.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
sothron, Yeah I know the feeling. I can keep myself from getting PAD, but I have a hard time not picking up tobacco on a regular basis. I will be adding both of your recommendations to my TAD list. You are a former cig smoker if I am not mistaken? I think alot of people who transition from cigarettes to the pipe enjoy burley.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I haven't had Haunted Bookshop but Old Joe Krantz is supposedly its big brother so I would make it a definite on your list.
The nicotine and the perique levels are way way up, though, so be prepared...
I love Wessex Burley Slices and many others testify to the virtues of Solani Aged Burley Flake.
If you are so fortunate as to find a tin, then you also might like Butera Kingfisher which was a Virginia-Burley-Perique blend. I would imagine it is impossible to find these days and quite a bit different than Haunted Bookshop, but you never know - it might hit the spot if you ever come across it!

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Old Joe Krantz is an awesome smoke. I found a tin from 2009, and it is phenomenal! Opening the tin there is that musty smell and what I think smells exactly like a can of V8 tomato juice.
Coming from smoking cigars, I can really appreciate the sort of bitterness that burleys have. I will likely buy some more Ol Joe in bulk, as it is a really good deal and I love how it smokes.
I'm not sure if all that age helped this blend or if it's always that good, but I think it is worth a shot. I really enjoy it. Depending on when you smoke it, you will likely feel some of the nicotine, but I have't found it overwhelming.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Age might take a few edges off and take the perique down a notch but not everything will be changed dramatically by time.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
Thanks simenon and gray for your imput. I will definitely be adding Old Joe to my next tobac order. I usually like a blend with a good nic hit after dinner so it sounds awesome. I will pick up some Wessex Burley Slices and Solani Aged Burley Flake as well. I looked them both up they look great as well. And I will keep my out for Butera Kingfisher. If I come across some I will send you a few bowls of it simenon.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've never smoked Haunted Bookshop but I can definitely recommend H&H's Classic Burley Kake
I'll have to add Haunted Bookshop to my spreadsheet of tobacco's I want to try.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I can definitely recommend H&H's Classic Burley Kake
That is a good blend too! Although, quite different from Old Joe because of the toppings and being pressed.
I think classic burley is a good dessert smoke. It tastes exactly how it smells, smooth, a little rum, I think it is chocolatey.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I have an unopened tin of H&H's Classic Burley Kake. It will get opened soon as soon as my current supply of Haunted Bookshop runs out. I am a big fan of H&H in general.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I was unaware that Burley Kake was an aromatic. I need to read descriptions more carefully. I don't often smoke aros but I do have a few I enjoy.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I was unaware that Burley Kake was an aromatic. I need to read descriptions more carefully. I don't often smoke aros but I do have a few I enjoy.
Go ahead and pop it and take a whiff!
It will likely need to air out a little anyway, as the H&H Kake's come pretty moist.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
Gray, if it tastes the way it smells, it will be a good smoke. I mostly get a rum smell from the tin note and a bit of an earthy mushroom. I usually like tobac with a rum casing. I agree it is pretty moist. I'm going to put some in a pouch and smoke it while I am out having drinks tomorrow night. I try to smoke aros when out in public.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Gray, if it tastes the way it smells, it will be a good smoke. I mostly get a rum smell from the tin note and a bit of an earthy mushroom. I usually like tobac with a rum casing. I agree it is pretty moist. I'm going to put some in a pouch and smoke it while I am out having drinks tomorrow night. I try to smoke aros when out in public.
The room note is very much like the tin note. It's hard to describe, but very good. You're right, the rum is very present in there, but then there's something else. It is kinda earthy and mellow.
And no wonder you did not see that it was an aro, the description on P&C does not mention that at all! Russ said somewhere that it is topped with Rum, Anise, and maybe one other flavor??
I may have some tonight!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I really enjoy Solani ABF and Wessex Burley Slices, but I absolutely hated Haunted Bookshop. Having read about it here I was eager to try it, but I could not have disliked it more, probably body chemistry I suppose. I also enjoy Carter Hall and Kentucky Club as well.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Boy! acouple weeks to late on this one! Just tossed away some haunted bookshop. I love burleys but this only just didn't work for me. I could'nt get that taste out of my mouth...

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I agree philobeddo, I chalk up alot of taste preferences to body chemistry. There have been a few blends on here that people rave about and I don't enjoy, most notably penzance.
Thats a bummer drwatson, I would have taken it off your hands. Never throw away good tobac, thats what trades are for.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I have looked at crooner a few times ulteriorzaiak. I have never had anything with deer tongue in it. What kind of properties does it give to the taste and room note.

Status
Not open for further replies.