Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

C&D Haunted Bookshop and My New Love of Burley

(44 posts)
  1. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I picked up 2 ounces of C&D Haunted Bookshop a few weeks ago on a whim. I fell in love half way through the first bowl. It was named perfectly. The room note reminds me of old paper or cardboard and the slight musty smell I associate with used book stores that have books older than me on their shelves. I have tried several premium burley blends but have never noticed that much differance between them and Carter Hall.

I am looking for some suggestions for my next TAD purchase that are similar to haunted Bookshop. I was thinking of picking up some Old Joe Krantz because I think C&D blend burley to my liking. Does anyone have any experience with old joe or any other C&D burley blends they would recommend?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too am fond of burley. Haven't tried those C&D blends yet, but they are both on my TAD wish-list. I just need to lay off the tobacco buying for awhile due to a recent binge... I've been smoking Mac Baren's Golden Extra and London Burley lately and enjoy both.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

sothron, Yeah I know the feeling. I can keep myself from getting PAD, but I have a hard time not picking up tobacco on a regular basis. I will be adding both of your recommendations to my TAD list. You are a former cig smoker if I am not mistaken? I think alot of people who transition from cigarettes to the pipe enjoy burley.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, and you're right - burley does seem to be a favorite of my ilk. I also find VaPers and VaBurs (like Golden Extra) hit the spot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't had Haunted Bookshop but Old Joe Krantz is supposedly its big brother so I would make it a definite on your list.

The nicotine and the perique levels are way way up, though, so be prepared...

I love Wessex Burley Slices and many others testify to the virtues of Solani Aged Burley Flake.

If you are so fortunate as to find a tin, then you also might like Butera Kingfisher which was a Virginia-Burley-Perique blend. I would imagine it is impossible to find these days and quite a bit different than Haunted Bookshop, but you never know - it might hit the spot if you ever come across it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old Joe Krantz is an awesome smoke. I found a tin from 2009, and it is phenomenal! Opening the tin there is that musty smell and what I think smells exactly like a can of V8 tomato juice.

Coming from smoking cigars, I can really appreciate the sort of bitterness that burleys have. I will likely buy some more Ol Joe in bulk, as it is a really good deal and I love how it smokes.

I'm not sure if all that age helped this blend or if it's always that good, but I think it is worth a shot. I really enjoy it. Depending on when you smoke it, you will likely feel some of the nicotine, but I have't found it overwhelming.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Age might take a few edges off and take the perique down a notch but not everything will be changed dramatically by time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

Thanks simenon and gray for your imput. I will definitely be adding Old Joe to my next tobac order. I usually like a blend with a good nic hit after dinner so it sounds awesome. I will pick up some Wessex Burley Slices and Solani Aged Burley Flake as well. I looked them both up they look great as well. And I will keep my out for Butera Kingfisher. If I come across some I will send you a few bowls of it simenon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never smoked Haunted Bookshop but I can definitely recommend H&H's Classic Burley Kake

I'll have to add Haunted Bookshop to my spreadsheet of tobacco's I want to try.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can definitely recommend H&H's Classic Burley Kake

That is a good blend too! Although, quite different from Old Joe because of the toppings and being pressed.

I think classic burley is a good dessert smoke. It tastes exactly how it smells, smooth, a little rum, I think it is chocolatey.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I have an unopened tin of H&H's Classic Burley Kake. It will get opened soon as soon as my current supply of Haunted Bookshop runs out. I am a big fan of H&H in general.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I was unaware that Burley Kake was an aromatic. I need to read descriptions more carefully. I don't often smoke aros but I do have a few I enjoy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was unaware that Burley Kake was an aromatic. I need to read descriptions more carefully. I don't often smoke aros but I do have a few I enjoy.

Go ahead and pop it and take a whiff!

It will likely need to air out a little anyway, as the H&H Kake's come pretty moist.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

Gray, if it tastes the way it smells, it will be a good smoke. I mostly get a rum smell from the tin note and a bit of an earthy mushroom. I usually like tobac with a rum casing. I agree it is pretty moist. I'm going to put some in a pouch and smoke it while I am out having drinks tomorrow night. I try to smoke aros when out in public.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gray, if it tastes the way it smells, it will be a good smoke. I mostly get a rum smell from the tin note and a bit of an earthy mushroom. I usually like tobac with a rum casing. I agree it is pretty moist. I'm going to put some in a pouch and smoke it while I am out having drinks tomorrow night. I try to smoke aros when out in public.

The room note is very much like the tin note. It's hard to describe, but very good. You're right, the rum is very present in there, but then there's something else. It is kinda earthy and mellow.

And no wonder you did not see that it was an aro, the description on P&C does not mention that at all! Russ said somewhere that it is topped with Rum, Anise, and maybe one other flavor??

I may have some tonight!

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy Solani ABF and Wessex Burley Slices, but I absolutely hated Haunted Bookshop. Having read about it here I was eager to try it, but I could not have disliked it more, probably body chemistry I suppose. I also enjoy Carter Hall and Kentucky Club as well.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boy! acouple weeks to late on this one! Just tossed away some haunted bookshop. I love burleys but this only just didn't work for me. I could'nt get that taste out of my mouth...

John
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I agree philobeddo, I chalk up alot of taste preferences to body chemistry. There have been a few blends on here that people rave about and I don't enjoy, most notably penzance.

Thats a bummer drwatson, I would have taken it off your hands. Never throw away good tobac, thats what trades are for.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. ulteriorzaiak

ulteriorzaiak

Login to Send PM

For something different, but in the same wheelhouse, I'd suggest C&D's crooner.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I have looked at crooner a few times ulteriorzaiak. I have never had anything with deer tongue in it. What kind of properties does it give to the taste and room note.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. ulteriorzaiak

ulteriorzaiak

Login to Send PM

In my experience it definitely tastes like it smells. As for the smell / room note, it's strong and pleasant, but I don't really know what to compare it to. I know that doesn't really help. (I'm hoping someone with more experience can explain the properties properly.)

I do enjoy haunted bookshop though, and I love crooner, which is why I made the suggestion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I will give it a whirl ulteriorzaiak. I need few excuses to buy more tobac.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GLP Barbary Coast is a very good burley based blend as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the recommendation batdemon, I will add it to the list. I think GLP is an exceptional blender.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Well, it has happened again for the umpteenth time, simenon took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm a huge Haunted Bookshop fan; and, I might add, it does not improve much with age. I think simenon is right about the Perique fading and losing some of its musty appeal. But I still enjoy my jarred stuff. I'll post a handy jar lid label here.

Also, if you're in the mood for a sweeter Burley blend, you have to try Mac Baren Burley London Blend.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D's Billy Budd is an unusual burley blend. It has some latakia and cigar leaf in it. Works very well in a MM cob.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

Thanks cortezattic and for the suggestion and the awesome label. Its also good to know that Haunted Bookshop does not improve well with age. Papipeguy have you ever had Storm Front, it's a burley blend with cigar leaf. If so how does it compare to Billy Budd. Is there a generous portion of latakia or is it used as a condiment?

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

On the aromatic side, I've found Wilke's Nut Brown Burely to be the best.

On the OTC side, Sir Walter Raleigh Original is a good choice, it's a blend of Kentucky and Tennessee white, 100% burley with a mild topping. Five Brothers is all-burley as well, very full, high nicotine.

I haven't had these, but Uhle's #00 is another all-burley (with a light topping) that has gotten huge praise from burley lovers. Peretti's BCP is one of a dozen or more excellent hand-blended burley blends from this old Boston B&M.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Has anybody tried the Altidis Match for Edgeworth Ready Rubbed?

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Batdemon, I'm a big fan of Barbary Coast. Just happen to be puffing on some right now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have heard that the Altadis match of ERR is suprisingly good, albeit with less molasses character than the original.

I have never had either, so YMMV.

Anything that garners comparisons to Edgeworth, though, seems like it is right up my alley.

I wish I could've found some of the Slices. (I also love the old blue tins)

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old Joe Krantz is an awesome smoke[quote]Pound worthy in bulk!!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I just placed an order for Old Joe (1/2lb), Barbary Coast, Crooner, Solani ABF, Mac Baren's Golden Extra, and Wessex Burley Slices. Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I would have picked up more if the budget allowed. I also had three bowls of H&H Burley Kake with some Woodford Reserve. It was a tasty pairing. Thanks gray and fitzy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sothron, Barbary Coast is some mighty tasty stuff, ain't it?

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just had some more WBS...

I think I am done looking for burley blends. This will be the one. Trying to get better than this is just gilding the lily for me.

It is what I imagine traditional American burley to be with some German flair on the presentation front.

(Flakes are a must for me and the field is quite limited with burley, so I am lucky to be so well served by this one)

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just had some more WBS...

I think I am done looking for burley blends. This will be the one. Trying to get better than this is just gilding the lily for me.

It is what I imagine traditional American burley to be with some German flair on the presentation front.

(Flakes are a must for me and the field is quite limited with burley, so I am lucky to be so well served by this one)

If ya got something that works, stick with it.

I like burleys myself, only problem I have with 'em is that teensy perfumey note you get once in awhile, the rest is all good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I had my first bowl of Old Joe Kratz in a MM Patriot. It is awesome! I got my fill of nic for the evening.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had my first bowl of Old Joe Kratz in a MM Patriot. It is awesome! I got my fill of nic for the evening.

That's funny, I'm sitting here loading up the same pipe (with some irish twist). I like the pipe well enough, would've preferred it slightly less bent, though.

While I'm thinking about it....anybody know what they use when they fill the exterior of these cobs? Never thought about it before, now I'm curious.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plaster of Paris, I believe.

I don't know what kind of finish they use. The Country Gents have a dark stain applied, too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

i have C+D burley flakes #2 and 3. flake#2 has white and dark burleys with alittle red virginia. flake#3 is a blend of burleys with some virginia and a dash of perique. both tobacs are very strong. i also recd wessex burley slices, this is a mild burley compared to the C+D FLAKES. then you have H+H classic burley kake, this stuff is mild as well, and yes a guess you would call it an aromatic. all quality tobaccos, however be careful with the C+D flakes, very full strenght.

take care.

mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great! Glad you found some that you like!

Woodford is my drink of choice too!

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just ordered 4 oz of Old Joe, 4 oz of the Union Leader match, and a tin of CD Pegasus. Does anyone know anything about the latter two blends? I've read some good things but know precious little. Union Leader seems like one that if your dad or granddad smoked it, you would like it based on Nostalgia. Pegasus is a dark horse but thought why not?

mlyvers: I didn't know that Burley Flake 2 had red Va. Thanks for the tip on that. I've had Burley Flake 3 and loved it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mlyvers, I am going to pass on the C&D Flakes for that very reason - brutal strength.

The Wessex Burley Slices are mild in comparison but I wouldn't really call them incredibly mild compared to most aromatics out there or anything. Just a blend with an "average" nicotine content.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I didn't mention this in my review tonight, but the Wessex Burley Broadcut is also about average in the nicotine department, IMO -- certainly not weak in that area, however -- and I can see a few puffers who are quite sensitive to Vitamin N could, indeed find it more than they prefer.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, msandoval858, johnscs, gerritjan, bwithers55, davidintexas, pylorns, rickcrum, dmcc, mcitinner1, tbradsim1, manolo, buzkirk, jdub, goinslow, northernneil, pflan, eightywon, edgreen, kdflyer, mrenglish, pitchfork, samcoffeeman, numbersix, fishnbanjo