C&D haul and my first Nording

(26 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by homeatsea
  • Latest reply from homeatsea
  1. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I remember now why I kept clear of here for a few years... All that talk of VaBurs in the burley appreciation thread and the general love of all pipes around here has me digging holes in my credit again.

After falling completely in love with C&D's Bayou Morning Flake I made an exclusively C&D tobacco order with an emphasis on VaBurs (and Perique, of course). And then I HAD to purchase my very first Nording that I've had on my wishlist for a while as well because for some reason Smokingpipes.com wanted to take 10% off all pipes today. And now begins the wait for these beauties to arrive...

-Home At Sea
    Posted 3 months ago #
  2. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

Nice. Enjoy! That Bayou Morning Flake is damn good.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

I was eyeing that Nording as well this morning! The sale almost put in my basket. Thank you for grabbing it and keeping my PAD at bay.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dcon, it’s so damn good. I had about 4 other tins open and “actively” being smoked when I first opened Bayou Morning and none have been touched since!

Canadian, my pleasure. Here’s to hoping it smokes half as good as it looks!

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I can't wait to see that Nording up close in pictures!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 months ago #
  6. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ll be sure to try and get some good ones! I always pictured myself with a freehand Nording but as I was glancing through smokingpipes selections I saw this beauty and couldn’t get it out of my mind. They had another gorgeous one in the hunting line too, the smooth bison or buffalo I believe. I’m a sucker for smooth pipes though, might not be for everybody.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Haunted Bookshop is a great blend, it and Old Joe Krantz are my go-to burley blends when I'm in the mood for something other than VA and VA/Pers. I've heard a lot of good things about Briar Fox and do love a good krumble kake but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. But you guys need to be quiet about Bayou Morning Flake, if word gets out about how good it is I'll never be able to find it anymore. I do wish C&D would age their tobaccos some more before tinning because all the ones I've tried could use 6 months to a year in the tin before they really shine but at least they're quality tobaccos that are available.

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bayou Morning Flake was the first C&D blend I’ve tried and I opened it almost immediately. I’ll have to sit on it a bit longer next time around! My only minor complaint with it is that it is a touch more moist than most other VaPers I smoke straight out of the tin. Easily remedied by loading a bowl and letting it sit for an hour or two before I actually get around to lighting it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice Haul

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Love my Nørding. I hope yours brings you years of enjoyment.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

Please post pics when you get the booty...I must resist...boy I like a few here and they are Smooth. And the
    Neerup Pipes line Smooth's are Great also.

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul. I hope the pipe smokes great for you.

Harris
    Posted 3 months ago #
  13. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve read that Pennington Gap is similar to Barbary Coast, but that it has a bourbon topping instead of whisky. I’m a big fan of BC, so I’d like to try it soon

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go for the Old Joe Krantz next. You will not regret it...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  15. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nordings are great pipes. I hope yours brings you many years of great smokes. Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 months ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can't go wrong for my money with Nording or C&D. Those hunting pipes are done with a flair; my wife gave me the zebra two Christmases ago, and it is always a pleasure to smoke. I think you'll be well pleased with the C&D blends; again, it's hard to go wrong.

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Somehow in my assessment of all C&D options I overlooked Old Joe Krantz, its now on the list. And thanks, mso, I am beyond excited to receive this pipe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with didimau -- huge Nording lover here. My first was a freehand about 45 yrs ago that today we'd probably call a pickaxe. Still have it & it's still a fantabulous smoke & one of my faves!

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  19. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had a B. Barling and Sons #4065 (1/2 bent billiard) for about 2 yrs from an ebay auction and only recently realized that it was likely made by Nording for Barling due to its Made in Denmark nomenclature. It's a beaut, whoever made it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Nordings in my opinion are the best bang for your buck over 50 dollars. Under 50 dollars has to be grabows(for briar). But I'm cheap when it comes to pipes.

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Nording Wood Pigeon arrived today! Unfortunately, I won't be able to christen it immediately but man am I excited. It's beautiful and a bit smaller than I was expecting, which I don't mind at all. Especially given the deep chamber, it still should get some hearty smokes without compromising clenching. The horn piece between the shank and stem is a fantastic touch. I've never had anything like it. I plan to make this a VaBur pipe, given that it was included in the same order as my beginning expedition into the world of VaBurs. Though I seem to always end up smoking Capstan Blue in all of my pipes and I couldn't imagine not smoking Bayou Morning in it either so perhaps its more safe to just call it a Va/VaBur/VaPer pipe... I plan the first smoke to be my first ever tasting of Haunted Bookshop. I'll let you all know what I think! Here's some prelim pictures I snapped before I had to zoom off to work. A nice touch with the Hunting line, it came with a lovely "tube" with a picture of a pipe-smoking man holding a shotgun walking a forested scene with a hunting dog in tow. I didn't capture the tube or the lovely birdseye on the rim of the bowl, I can update with more comprehensive pictures later when I have more time.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Had my first smoke of C&D's Haunted Bookshop in the new Nording. I have no complaints. The pipe smoked perfectly and cool. Passed a pipe cleaner no problem. Also, I loved Haunted Bookshop. It was my first Va/Bur and I am looking forward to cracking in to the other Va/Burs I purchased.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Glad your enjoying the Nørding! I was smoking mine this morning.

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Anyone know why they call it a "Hunting pipe"?

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gots me, unless it was to go with the McC Nording Hunter tobacco line?

Bill

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Each “Hunting pipe” is themed after a game species. This one is supposed to represent a wood pigeon. Each year they add a new species to the pipe line.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   brooklynpiper, trouttimes, dontbeaburleyman, alaskanpiper, krizzose, mossdoug, jpmcwjr, pipeanddrum, prndl, tolkienfan, ukbob, metzmo, dmcmtk, elasmo, jeremystafford