PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I just picked up a tin of Five O'Clock Shadow which is the third installment of the C&D Working Man's line. I also have Morning Drive Time and Lunchtime Blues, both of which are latakia infused blends.

Five O'Clock Shadow is way different from the former and latter in the series. It is a Va/Per with some dark fired Kentucky burley for starters. It comes in the form of a brownie for the second big difference.

I don't smoke many Va/Per's but this one is something I can see myself returning to on a daily basis.

The brownie breaks up easily. I didn't need a knife at all. The moisture level is acceptible and I loaded my GBD pot and fired right up withour any drying time. It accepted a light readily and stays lit.

I'm getting the sweetness of the Va and a slight spicy note from the perique. The burley supports a nutty base but all are evenly weighted so there is no one star in the mix.

It also smokes very cool and, so far, absolutely no gurggle.

I'm a big C&D fan as it is but this Working Man series is really very good. This is a different type of blend for me but I like it. I like it a lot.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Interesting! Thanks for the review.
It looks like a protein bar my company makes...

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What an excellent review!
Love C&D. They just make quality product.
Love the tin art.
I don't want to jack your thread, Papipeguy, but what online seller has the most complete C&D lineup? I live within 75 miles of several good to excellent B&Ms but I also live in the heart of McClelland country.
Fnord

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks Papie I like Morning Drive Time so I'm looking forward to giving this one a go.
@fnord I only use SPC and 4noggins so I'm not sure who has the most complete lineup. I sometimes find a tin I can't get at SPC is available a 4noggins and vice versa. You will notice that C&D has a series of tins where there is no tin art (example Billy Budd). These are the tins that are available also in bulk. SPC stocks a lot more of these. This Five O'Clock Shadow is a new blend which is not available at 4noggins yet.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Gents, I had the local B&M order Lunchtime Blues along with several other C&D blends. The Five O'Clock Shadow came in the shop as an extra for the pipe show there this past weekend. Sorry to say that I got the last tin but I'll be sure to have the owner get more. This one is a keeper for me.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
fnord - re C&D availability - call C&D themselves for a very pleasant experience plus 100% availability of C&Ds. Two Friends, Hermits, and GLPs too. Their sample packs are generous and a great way to survey the large landscape. If there is a bulk you like, you can special order it in pound lots from Mike at Marscigars.com.
John - thanks for the great writeup. I'm still working my way through the dozens of samples I got at the Richmond show, including a brownie of this 5 O'C S that Pam gave me.
hp

les

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I was not aware C&D sold to the general public. It appears your going to pay a couple buck more a tin compared to site sponsors though.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
That sounds and looks really good. I love dark fired kentucky. I bet it gives this a nice nicotine boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.