PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I've been a long time fan of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. Look to expand my "cellar" I posted a quest last year and got some suggestions. Epiphany and 965 where two I have since ordered.
I found the 965 to be "nothing special. Perhaps since I enjoyed EMP so much - I may have found the 965 to add little distinction. Or maybe I was just expecting more. None the less, it did not know my socks off.
Epiphany had a different issue. I liked it... but it does not like me. I've noticed when I smoke baccy's with Perique, I get an itchy feeling on my face. Good smoke... bad reaction.
However - being the frugal sort that I am, I could not see myself tossing it out, So I decided to "marry" them. I did a 60/40... 75/25 type of mix, with the lighter side going to Epiphany. The results are GREAT.
I've just order a little more of the two so I can mix them and put 'em in the cellar.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I don't much care for Epiphany but do like EMP with some age on it .As long as there are Mason jars there is hope . Sometimes tastes change .

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Epiphany also becomes a very different tobacco after about 6 months. As the topping fades off, I think it becomes better. I doubt the perique would soften much but there really isn't much in there. Stay away from the new 20%+ perique blends.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I got some Epiphany a few months ago just to try and see if I'd like it and alas to no avail I didn't. I do however like EMP and 965 The Aperitif is a good one to try as well. My mouth loves perique I have a local blend that has like 30-35% perique in it and let me tell you I smoke more Pirates Alley than any other tobacco I have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting. I like 965 as is, very much, and Epiphany quite a bit, but not as much. However, your point is well taken that sometimes a carefully considered mix can be a beautiful thing. Just putting a good Virginia with a good burley, with a dash of Cavendish optional, can make an incredible smoke. Some tub tobaccos do a fine job of stretching choicer blends (in case of price increases for sure). Everyone should try some mixes from time to time. Some of my best smokes have been mixes.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
igloo - I have some EMP jarred up for about 8 months now.
jgriff - I'll have to try setting some epiphany aside when the next order comes in. I like it and just wish the itchiness wasn't a factor
MSO - I agree with making it go further, and you can get some nice combos. Last year I began my own "Best of My Rest." When I get down to a little left in the can or bag, I dump it into a small container and just keep adding to it. The smoke is GREAT. I have all kinds in their, English and aromatics too.

Status
Not open for further replies.