Feb 21, 2013
C&D Dark Burley, don't do it unless you tolerate burley well, love burley, and

go with full strength. Newbies, better wait on this one. It makes Five Brothers

seem absolutely polite by comparison. But when you need a bowl of Dark Burley,

it's there for you.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yep, smooth and mellow it ain't. Do you smoke it straight? I've only used for blending. I'm pretty sure it's the same burley (or one of the burleys) they use in Crowley's Best. The dark burley is stout stuff, that's for sure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've mixed it with other blends with good effect, but more often I smoke it as-is. It's not rope, but

it definitely has strength.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a little more refinement, Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, and Big 'n Burley are also good C&D blends, among a number,

and their tinned burleys are excellent too. I haven't tried #3. I was interested in #1. I like many other blends that

aren't this strong, like their Epiphany. Pegasus. And so on. If you like burley, C&D has quite an array. I'm aging

a tin or Riverboat Gambler.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Burley Flake #3 is good and strong. The recipe is similar to OJK -- Burleys, Va and a bit of Perique, but I actually like OJK better. The flake has a real sourness to it, which I love in Burley Flake #2, but in # 3 it just doesn't work for me. After it's been open a while, though, #3 mellows out a bit and has more of a nutty, classic burley flavor. #2, which is a white burley flake with a touch of VA is my favorite of the series. It's nutty, slightly sour and just a touch of sweetness with the tang.
Burley flake # 1 is mostly dark burleys with a bit of VA and maybe Perique, but the dark burley predominates. It's definitely more refined and rounded tasting than the dark burley bulk. But still pretty stout stuff, both in flavor and nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.