PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
I managed to pick up a tin of Carolina Red back before it went the way of the dodo. There are only a handful of reviews of this most recent batch online, so I can't quite get a grasp on what it's like. So: for those who have smoked it, how good is it? What's the nicotine like? Is it hard to keep lit? What are some similar blends? And most importantly, should I let it age, trade it for something (I don't really know what it would fetch), or pop it and give it a try?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I managed to get a couple of tins and I opened one. It seems too young, it’s a little rough around the edges to my palate. However, I think it will age wonderfully, I think it’s very similar to McCranies Red Flake, without the age. If I were you, I’d keep it and open it up in five or ten years, it should be sublime.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I am with Cortez. Pop it, smoke it, and tell us so we can know what to do with ours.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I'd cellar it for at least a year--that's what I'm doing with mine (actually I'll wait 3 to 5 years). Good things come to those who wait, some say.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
It seems too young, it’s a little rough around the edges to my palate. However, I think it will age wonderfully

My thoughts exactly. I managed to snag 10 tins and opened one to make sure it was worth cellaring.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Whenever I get a new blend in I try it right away. If I really like it, I decide how big I want to cellar it. If it didn't impress me I will try it in other pipes. Sometimes the right pipe makes a big difference in the flavors. Sometimes a blend needs to sit for a few months to kind of air out. Aging something I don't know if I like is something I have never done.

Status
Not open for further replies.