PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I was looking for something in between Wessex Burley slice and MacBaren Bold Kentucky. I think I've found it in Burley Flake #2. The natural state that the leaf is in, is obvious compared to Wessex and MacBaren's processed flakes. (Don't get me wrong I like the process, I love it in fact) But the C&D flake comes across as having more umph than the Wessex and less kick than the Bold Kentucky.
Burley Flake #2 is kind of like a Haunted Bookshop Flake with no perique. Great in a Meershcuam, better in a cob, and a waste of time in a briar. I'm interested in trying the other Burley Flakes, but I'll skip the one with Latakia for now.
What's your favorite C&D Burley Flake or other burley flake and why?

The Wessex Burley Flakes and the Solani ABF and a few of the other branded cube cut or broken flake burleys have all struck me as weak. I got no bold flavors nor nicotine kicks. But, the C&D Burley flakes... good stuff. It's like these other companies are afraid of nicotine, so they water it down somewhat.
Good review, and I would suggest people try all of the C&D Burley Flakes, #1 is my all time favorite, but all of them have something wonderful about them.

Now, Bold Kentucky, I think of as something else entirely. It's like lumping latakia in with the orientals, yes and no. Sure, technically, it is a burley, but it has been changed, altered by the curing process in a way that makes it something else entirely. It's like saying that pure perique or semoise is just another burley.
I do like Bold Kentucky, but I don't lump it in with my other burleys. Also, try mixing in a little perique with Bold Kentucky. I just cube cut it, and sprinkle in a little perique, and let it meld for a few days. It adds a little piquancy to the smokiness.

Reactions: #LiverGiftFromGod

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
#2 is my favorite. And has been for a long time. I love the sour, nutty tang.
But #5 is a great addition to the series. I like the higher proportion of VAs to burley (compared to the other Burley Flakes) and I think it has the most Kentucky dark fired of the series. So it's rich, sweet and smokey, but still burley-forward.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
perdurabo -- When I desire something in between ABF or WBS and BK, I do the unthinkable and combine 1 flake of the burley ABF or WBS and one or 1/2 flake of BK (depending what ummph I am desiring). I, too, like the C&D BFs, especially #1 and #3.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I enjoy WBF but agree that it is not very strong. I usually mix a little G&H black twist in with it. I have a couple tins of C&D #1 but i have not opened them.

Yeh, I always try to imagine the creative team for these "lesser" companies with tobacco experts setting around a table coming up with their Burley Flakes...
"We need a Burley flake"

Yes, a big manly burley"

"yes, yes, something strong, and kicks ass."

"Yes, yes, yes, kicks ass, and strong enough to lift trucks, and beat down wimpy mimps."

"Yes, yes, a Burley Flake, strong, ass kicker."

"Absolutely, flake, strong, ass kicking, and... tasty."

"yes, yes, tasty, it must taste good."

"Yes yes, big manly, burley ass kicking tasty with... not too much nicotine, because it might make me sick."

"yes yes, no sick, big burley, tasty. Barbaric Yawp!!"

"Oaty, nutty, Granola-ey? Manly man?"

"Yes yes, reduced nicotine cheap oaty nutty burley with a topping to make it appeal to lesser men."

"Big burley flake with no nicotine, and granola girlie tastes?"
Whereas C&D just has big men with beards...

"What do you think of it?"

"Add more burley, it doesn't make me puke yet."

Status
Not open for further replies.