PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Just opened a fresh tin of Cornell and Diehl's Buffalo Soldier. The first time I tried this magnificent blend it was over a year old.
Tin Note- Mushroomy BBQ, deep earthy compost.
It's mostly red Virginia with a bit of bright virginia's, a generous portion of perique, with a touch of Latakia.
At first light, you get a blast of spicy perique with a wisp of smoky Latakia. The perique stays pretty strong at the first 1/3 of the bowl, the Virginias slowly come through sweetening up the smoke, landing this blend into the Va/per category at the 2/3 of the bowl. The perique transforms into a sour mushroom flavor that is divine. The Latakia takes a back seat but wisp in and out til the heel of the bowl.
A similar blend is GL Pease Piccadilly, which to me holds back on the perique and adds tad bit more of Latakia. Buffalo Soldier is superior if you love perique. This blend is my all time favorite blend. I wish C&D would do an 8 0z. tin.

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
I've also wanted to give this series a try, your review seals the deal. It's on my next order.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
mig19 BS is great stuff. I've got six tins set back, Two of which have 2years of age on them. If you hate it, I'll take it off your hands. :)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo per
Re C&D putting BuffaloS into 8 oz tins, they did it at least once, since I have one, which I got from Marscigars. Lately I find myself preferring Tuskesegee Airmen. It may be the cake format that does it for me.
hp

les

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Thanks to this revived thread I just popped a tin that has been sitting in my cellar for 3 years. Damn tasty stuff!

mig19

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2016
I got a tin along with a tin of Montford Point Marine. Both are great smokes, right now I'm giving the edge to Montford Point Marine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
BuffaloS sound excellent, if I could get to the CD selection without being captured by the burley blends. They are absolutely witchy with that burley leaf.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
You make this stuff sound rather tasty. I will add a tin or ten to my next order...

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ive noticed some cool things with this blend. In briars, the perique is tame, and I notice the lat. more often. In a cob the perique stands up and plays a nice solo note. Also the blend smokes different each time I smoke it, different nuances every time. Some times the perique is strong, other times it's mild. My favorite mixture for sure.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
perdurabo. I forgot to mention it was your reviews on TR that turned me on to this. During a Sutliff sale I purchased several tins of Court of St. James and after smoking one I liked it. I saw your reviews and grabbed some BS. All I can say is good stuff! After a break I'm starting to go through my CSJ stash and it tastes even better. I can't wait to crack open some more BS. I always figured im a Burley/VaPer man but this Virginia/Perique/Latakia combination is great. Thanks!
Oh BTW, if those are not your reviews, somebody else has the same name.

Status
Not open for further replies.