PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Before the rains come (again), I relaxed under the back yard pin oak - with my Sunday pipe (a Butz-Choquin Cocarde bulldog) and a bowl of C&D Briar Fox. I received several half ounce samples with a few orders from my preferred enabler. My first smoke of this tobacco several weeks back wasn't very pleasant. Of course, it does help if you crumble against the grain (lesson learned). Today's smoke was far more enjoyable.
For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of a smoke with this tobacco, I'll give you my newbie impressions.
Have you seen those YouTube videos where someone is discussing his new pipe or new tobacco in a veritable haze of smoke? Do you enjoy getting lost in the over-abundant fog of smoke spilling over itself? If so, this tobacco probably isn't for you. In my opinion, this Virginia is meant to be sipped, not gulped. And a deep, serious tobacco it is. If it were food, it would be a chocolate cake - made of the darkest chocolate from a planet not yet discovered.
The first half bowl was a bit like my first experience - somewhat monochrome. But halfway through the bowl Tinkerbell must have arrived with her pixie dust, as the tobacco took on a whole new range. Each slow puff took the flavor and aroma deeper and deeper. By the time I'd made it down to ash, it occurred to me that this is one tobacco I will never smoke indoors or around non-smokers: the sale of the tin should come with a secret handshake.
It is a wonderful smoke for a Sunday afternoon when all you really want to do is read a few pages of a good book or even better just gaze at the branches above your head. I wouldn't want to try driving either during or immediately following, as it has some serious nicotine. If you are like me and you enjoy fruit with your smoke, cherries are a wonderful complement to the deep chocolate of the tobacco.
I'm thinking of purchasing a few tins with the next order from my enabler - to cellar for a year. Perhaps a bit of age might bring out even more flavors than Tinkerbell's pixie dust.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Dude that stuff is extremely potent... it should be a classified Schedule I substance... the last time I smoked it I felt like putting on Pink Floyd "Animals" and watching National Geographic videos... in all honesty it's a very intense tobacco with a severe pounding of nicotine and a very unusual flavor that is a little unsettling at first
Those who don't get into C&D tobaccos, you need to give this a spin, definitely on the outer limits of C&D tins

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Dude that stuff is extremely potent... it should be a classified Schedule I substance...
I wasn't joking about Tinkerbell - I'm pretty sure she did arrive halfway through the bowl.
This stuff is potent.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for the review. Sounds like it's worth checking out.
a very unusual flavor that is a little unsettling at first
Does it have a topping, or is it just the way the Virginias are blended?

adam12

May 16, 2011
It's not a topping, just a very intense blend. Definitely give it a try

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for your review andya27. I love your photographs, especially.
I also enjoy Briar Fox, though I am fairly immune to the nicotine unless I have an empty stomach. I first tried it via the 1/2 oz samples Smokingpipes was giving along with purchases, and I think it is a marketing strategy that is really working for them. So far I have ordered en masse nearly every sample they have offered for free.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I received my 1/2 ounce sample with an order of C&D bulk from SP and had three or four happy bowls out

of it before it was used up. I'm just not reacting to the nicotine in it, and I found it a fine tasting and

sophisticated blend. There are some other C&D blends I want to order first, but I would certainly happily

order some more.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice post, andya27! :clap: Thanks for taking the time and effort to do the write-up for us. The pix are especially appreciated.
I think you should give serious consideration to writing reviews for LuxuryTobaccoReviews*com. This way, the report you create can be preserved indefinitely. Here in the forums things tend to evaporate all too quickly.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A lone tin of Briar Fox rests in my cellar along with some Burley Flake #1. The Fox is this years model so perhaps I'll crack it next summer and from your description it should be very enjoyable. Thanks for your review.

Status
Not open for further replies.