Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
SP is throwing in a 1 oz sample of C&D Briar Fox with orders on discount bulk

C&D blends, if you check the box requesting it. They send a tidy plug of Briar

Fox in a small plastic baggy. It's easy to slice and rub and turns out to be a

tasty Virginia blend, full-bodied and long-burning. It looks like I'll get about

three bowls out of it and might well order a tin, eventually, although I may order

more discount bulk first. Has anyone else tried their sample? What do you think?

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Just got my sample this week. I have had Briar Fox before and enjoyed it. Will probably be picking up more in the near future.
Neat looking sample though. Nice perfect cube of tobacco goodness.
bfoxsample.jpg

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Only 3 bowls out of 1 ounce....it must be a smaller sample than one ounce or you have some REALLY big bowls on those pipes.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
From what I'm seeing on the site, you have a choice of a 1/2 oz sample of either C&Ds Briar Fox, or GLPs Gaslight. But you have to have at least 1 tin of tobacco.
Unless SPs are just throwing in a sample of Briar Fox without you first requesting.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I too received the sample of Briar Fox in my last TAD order from SP. I smoked two bowls of it (still have enough of the sample for a third) and liked it so much I ordered a pound of it and jarred it up for a long nap in the cellar. If you buy the 16oz tin it comes packaged in long stick-like plugs, which pack vertically in my wide-mouth quart jars perfectly. I think this stuff is going to age very nicely.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Only 3 bowls out of 1 ounce....it must be a smaller sample than one ounce or you have some REALLY big bowls on those pipes.
You can see in msandoval858's picture that it is a 1/2 oz sample of Briar Fox, and it is a very fine Va/Bur smoke. Previously they were giving 1/2 oz samples of GLP Odyssey, and I am glad they did because I discovered it was one of my favorite blends. I see they're offering Gaslight now; I have some cellared but I would like smoke a bowl or two again, as that is also an excellent blend and one of my favorites.

Jun 4, 2014
I also got a sample of Briar Fox with my last order from SP. Smoked the first bowl yesterday in a MM cob while mowing the grass. Rubbed out easily, mostiure was perfect, all in all a very nice smoke. Burned down to a fine gray ash with no relights.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry guys, it is a 1/2 oz sample of Briar Fox which SP sent me. That was with a discount order

of C&D bulk. The choice of Gaslight maybe comes with the tins? Anyway, it is the 1/2 oz cube

that will give me about three pipe bowls, maybe a little more. I try not to be a quantitative

dyslexic; I didn't major in English but I did actually minor in English. Ahem.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I got the Briar Fox as well because I hadn't tried it before. I found it a bit on the mild side.
The C&D Night Train, which is also a crumble cake but has some perique thrown in is more my style. I'm not complaining though, I mean, I'll still smoke it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny, I have been enjoying C&D's Old Joe Krantz lately, which is supposed to be full strength and

strikes me as about right, but I did not find Briar Fox especially mild. It seemed good and lively, if

not quite a strong as OJK. But everyone tastes these things a little differently.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
MSO, Old Joe gives me the hiccups so I don't try to smoke it anymore.
My nose can be a bit off on certain days but after two bowls of the Briar Fox I couldn't get enough out of it of what I look for in a VA. I like a strong, sweet sidestream.
I'm not crazy though, I'll still smoke it.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I got the Briar Fox sample then got a pound to put away .Grabbed the Gas Light sampler last time and bought a 8oz tin of Cairo .This promotion is a great way to introduce everybody to new blends .

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I agree Igloo. The consensus sounds good for Briar Fox, a blend I otherwise might have not tried. So I'm glad to also get a sample from my latest order.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the samples are a great idea. I'm curious about so many different blends but don't want to

necessarily invest in a 2 oz. bag of each. Pipe shows are another good sampling opportunity, for

those who haven't been to a pipe show.

Mar 1, 2014
Given that I tend to prefer strong, simple flavours (SG St. James Flake/Escudo, PS Luxury Twist Flake, Frosty Mint, and probably more Latakia than less), I wasn't very enthusiastic about Briar Fox.
I am looking forward to my sample of Gaslight.

Status
Not open for further replies.