PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
C&D Briar Fox
So...got a tin of Briar Fox before a bit of a road trip and some other choice selections. It was my first experience with a Kake and it was a 2oz tin. I was really looking forward to trying it and the tin odour told me I was going to enjoy this blend- the aroma was unlike other Virginia's I've tried. I loaded some pipes up the night before (early morning really due to my shift) and got up nice and early. I had loaded with the tobacco which had fallen off the uniform cube kake in the tin. Headed out on the road early in the morning and smoked the briar fox pipe first. All I can say is wow...it was amazing. I was flying down the hwy enjoying the most amazing smoke I've ever had. I was thinking the taste/ feeling it left in my mouth as I was smoking was like an amazing coffee with heavy cream or the after taste of dark chocolate... It was so rich it was like an over sweet heavy cream dessert, not so much in flavour but more in the after taste. I was thinking it was almost too rich to smoke on a regular basis and was wondering how the flavour would come through on the river fishing.I smoked another bowl (crumbling some tobacco of the kake this time) around 7 hrs later after getting off a ferry almost at my destination and although not as rich I got the same flavour although by that time my tongue was a little tender from smoking nearly the entire trip. I had taken the tin with me and the next time I smoked the briar fox was maybe a week or two later after returning home and I got none of the rich dessert creamy-ness I had on the first two bowls although a remanent of the flavour remained; I thought maybe it had dried out too much and so re-hydrated the remainder of the rubbed out Kake and tried another couple bowls. Although a hint of the flavour remained it was more ashy then anything and I've since not had the same amazing experience as the first two times. On the road trip I smoked it in a grabow big pipe and have tried it in the same pipe since as well as a a nicely broken in Brigham billiard. I can't remember what I had smoked in the grabow prior to the briar fox, but that pipe had been dormant since the summer so I can't imagine that any ghosting could have contributed to the amazing first couple of smokes of briar fox.
Long story short I have some more Briar Fox in the mail and am hoping to have a repeat of the first experience because it was bar none the most amazing smoke I've ever had; the remainder of the kake is rubbed out in a mason jar waiting. I don't have the vocabulary nor the palate to describe how awesome that first experience was-I was thinking at the time that I wouldn't be able to smoke it as an all day smoke because it would be like eating an overly rich dessert all day long (again I don't have the words, but it wasn't sweet like CBW, but the texture and after taste of the smoke was just amazing)...but at the same time was thinking "wow" and this will be my go to smoke.
Just wondering if any one has had such an experience with a blend and now finds themselves chasing that blend for a repeat, or what others here have thought of C&D's Briar Fox krumble Kake.
Before I go I should say that I actually enjoy Erinmore Mixture, so maybe you shouldn't take me seriously.
Edit: This is really a good write up. I'm moving it to "Pipe Tobacco Reviews"... Thanks for posting, and welcome aboard! L.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm due to place a C&D order. I think I'll add this to the list based on your observations. Thanks for posting.

BTW, I also recently bought a tine of Erinmore Flake and find it enjoyable as well. Cheers.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Erinmore is a great smoke. Haven't had beiar fox personally but sent a tin out in secret santa as it sounded yummy. So not sure if he liked it or not, but there are folks who have smoked it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm adding C&D's Briar Fox Krumble Kake to my "must try" list.

That really sounds like something I would really enjoy, maybe with a good Brandy or Hennessy Cognac.
Thanks for posting and welcome aboard!

:puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Briar Fox has a lovely taste to it. It is for me, however,another blend I find too high in the nic department. :(

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I have a few tins of each (flake and mix) but actually prefer the mixture, so take anything I recommend with that in mind. That being said ill have to revisit the flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.