PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
For the past few weeks I've been limited to smoking Prince Albert and Carter Hall, so when my order of 10 tins of English blends arrived, I was excited to get back to tinned tobacco. Seven of the blends are crumble cakes, which are new to me. The tin I decided to try first was C&D's Bow Legged Bear, because the name intrigued me. Upon opening the tin, the words 'steak sauce' came to me. As I smoked it, I thought of Christmas. Evergreen? I'm no expert on descriptions of flavors, and cannot distinguish varieties in a blend, so my impressions are probably idiosyncratic. I'm a big fan of Nightcap and other Dunhill Latakia blends. I'm also apparently immune to nicotine, so if this is strong in that, I can't tell. The pipe I'm using is a Savinelli 611 KS Bent Dublin, which is one of my Latakia pipes, mainly because it's one of my favorite pipes, and Latakia my favorite in a blend. This blend has VAs, Turkish, Latakia, Burley, and Perique pressed into a crumble cake. I smoked it without drying it, just rubbed it out; and it smoked without relights to the bottom. It's a smooth, creamy flavor. Not harsh, and without bite. It reminds me a bit of Barling Tradition 1812 and like a lighter Nightcap, although my memory for flavors probably isn't trustworthy. The date on the tin is 6-25-2015. I like this and would buy it again.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That's a real nice blend. C&D has quite a few lat blends that satisfy. I'm also a fan of Morley's Best, Montford Point Marine, USS Mason and Tuskegee Airmen. Their list is so long that I've only had about 15% of their blends. Enjoy.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Cross-eyed Cricket and Tuskegee Airman is on my latest shipment coming in from P&C. Looking forward to both of them! They've been out of Star of the East for a while now; I hope it's not turning into the latest Penzance.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the review. I have a single tin of this that I bought about a year ago and tossed into the cellar. I will probably open it in a few months when the weather grows cold and give it a go. I too bought mine because I thought the name had a cute catchiness to it. :)

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
My impression on the taste was 4 on a scale of 1-5. Only thing is theres no room for letting it air out, it crumbles up easily(a little too easily maybe) but it needs to be smoked asap I felt.

24qu9ly.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for listing the constituent tobaccos. I wasn't sure I could be interested until I read those -- almost thought it was an aro. But this sounds pretty good, definitely worth consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.