PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
I don't really write tobacco reviews but I thought anyone that hasn't tried this and have perhaps been on the bubble about trying it, perhaps scared away by reviews of people having heart Palpitations after smoking it, I wanted to give my opinion.

I smoked this fresh from the tin after about a 5 minute airing after I crumbled it. I have re ordered this tobacco already, this is the first in a long time that I am craving.

C&D Black Frigate.

Black Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish

Flavoring; Rum Cut:Crumble Cake.

First of all I will say this tobacco has a way different smell in the can, I was thinking uh oh, this is gonna be a foo foo sweet ass candy tobacco, but I was very very wrong.

It will hit the back of your throat like a freight train, it has a wonderful full upper medium to strong flavor. I don't get the Rum at all, what I do get is a healthy dose of Latakia and Turkish.

This was a very satisfying smoke for me, I tend to prefer the stronger flavored tobaccos and this one will be something I buy again. I have the feeling it will get better with age. I let it set and air for about 5 minutes the cake broke up easily and was easy to load, easy to light and easy to keep going. I wouldn't call this an everyday smoke but it is one worthy of having around when you want to shake off the cob webs and fight off the cold of winter.

I drank black coffee with it and the combo was great, I think it would pair well with a rich Burgundy wine a fireplace and a book. Slow burning, rich and creamy. I would give it a 4 of 5.

Worth trying if you are a Latakia fan. I was not overwhelmed by the nicotine, if you are an experience pipe smoker and you love a full bodied English, this is a must have.

Update I will defiantly be smoking this everyday.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I really like Blockade Runner, obviously the big difference being Latakia and Orientals, but I'm curious as to the Virgina base. Is it BR? I'd so I found see myself liking this.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I really like Blockade Runner, obviously the big difference being Latakia and Orientals, but I'm curious as to the Virgina base. Is it BR? I'd so I found see myself liking this.
You're correct. C&D's Description is below:
For C&D's Black Frigate, Latakia and Turkish are added to the Navy Cavendish which forms the base for Blockade Runner (Virginias soaked and aged in Rum) to produce a true Royal Navy blend. Pressed and cut into an old fashioned crumble cake.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Lots of Black Frigate fans here, a lot are due to chasingembers, (Duane) who is the captain of the Black Frigate. When I first opened a tin I thought wow, creosote! I've always liked the smell of creosote since I was a kid, not sure why, but I'm thankful BF doesn't taste like it. One of my all time favorite smokes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have no idea what you all are talking about.
img_20160224_125440-600x450.jpg

No idea at all.

Jan 8, 2013
Nice review. :D
I think it would pair well with a rich Burgundy wine a fireplace and a book.
I agree.
If you think about it, there's really not that much going into this blend... simply navy cavendish, with Latakia and Turkish. tobaccos. But it seems C&D discovered just the right formula to make it magical. I think just the smallest amount of change in the amount of one or another ingredient would take away from its greatness. I really like latakia, which is simply in the background of this blend, but I don't think I'd want any more in this one. It is perfect just the way it is.
It's good to hear you liked it, and welcome aboard the Black Frigate, Clangillespie. :clap:
@Duane, I think I drooled a little when I saw that photo.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I'm truly glad that so many of you have found Black Frigate to be so delightful and you inspired me to purchase a tin to try. Well, it just didn't work for me, I tried it in fresh, tried it dry, tried it in briar and meerschaum. I was looking for what so many have found, but alas 'twas not to be. I just got a bland Lat. forward blend and hardly a whiff of rum. I think G.L. Peases' Sextant is much tastier in the English with Rum category.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
all ye men be warned to be in the sailing in this boat, for it will ride the dark waters towards the sunken city of R'lyeh, for i have seen the old books and grimories in the captain library and he is equipped with the dasterly, necronomicon, you will be heading towards the old sleeping one, towards the cyclopien tomb of where the deep one sleeps, be fast and get out quick, for if you do not heed my words, all of you will meet with the mighty cthulu.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane are these old tins European-style vaccum style, or something else? I'm wondering why they come under a new (as in different) tin format now.
The old ones are more like shoe polish tins. I assume they opted the new format for lower packaging costs.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I haven't seen his proud ship sailing, hope it is still afloat.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Are you talking about his Black Frigate signature? I think he took that down after a few folks kept complaining about seeing the BF pictures - whenever that thread about "no more silly posts" came up :crazy:
disclaimer: if we aren't talking about the same thing ignore me - I'm drunk :P

Status
Not open for further replies.