PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I have been smoking this stuff for quite some time now, and at first, I couldn't really make heads or tails of it, but after having about a half a tin under my belt, I have decided that this stuff is wonderful. The tin says that "Latakia and Turkish are added to Navy Cavendish." I have emailed Cornell and Diehl to ask them exactly what their "Navy Cavendish" constitutes, but in the tin, the smell is full of campfire, earthy, and leathery smells, along with a stout smell like red wine, and that ketchup/barbecue smell that smells like matured Virginias. It comes in Krumble Kake format, and I should point out that this is one of the only Krumble Kake blends that I have had any luck with. It rubs out easily, and after about 20 minutes dry time is good to go. The first light has a nice leathery, earthy taste, and a sort of red wine/dark beer stout flavor, and an underlying wheat type sweetness. The second light brings a more stout flavor, and the Latakia goes to the background, and the wheat flavor is still there. The Latakia in this blend is not overpowering but it makes itself known, slipping in and out of the smoke. As you progress through the bowl, the smoke takes on a full, meaty sort of flavor, almost a little salty, not unlike a good salami or beef jerky. At the end of the bowl, the flavors intensify, and the Latakia comes more to the forefront, and the blend takes on a certain bitterness, along with the stout flavor and underlying sweetness. This blend burns down to a fine ash and leaves no goop, and smokes cool when sipped properly. Also, this is one of the only tobacco blends I have found that I notice any Vitamin N reaction from, and it is rather hearty; I have to sit down when I smoke this one, but it is not so much as to make me sick. This blend is really one of a kind, at least in my limited experience. The flavors are outstanding, it is easy to maintain and keep lit, and the nic kick is definitely appreciable. Highly recommended for both English smokers and lovers of Navy blends.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I'm with you on this one Pipe Novelist! Excellent description and spot on. I ordered a tin of it from PipesandCigars.com last month and after my 3rd bowl, ordered two more tins. It's got a very unique tin note and a wonderful, and very strong taste that I love. The description on the tin ends with the warning "...Not for the feint of heart." While I didnt think it was THAT strong (Bow-Legged Bear, another favorite, I think is much stronger in taste and nicotine), its taste is definitely unique.
I would highly recommend this one as well!

Jul 15, 2011
The description on the tin ends with the warning "...Not for the feint of heart."
This has been a good smoke on the cold winter nights and when I have had a very stressful day, which for me, anymore, can run anywhere from 8 to 13 hours. I agree that is not a nicotine overload, but it is definitely satisfying and helps to calm my nerves at the end of the day. Glad to see someone else enjoys this!

Jul 15, 2011
I just received an email from Craig at C&D, and he tells me that the "Navy Cavendish" in this blend is a mixture of bright Virginia and stoved red Virginia which they soak in rum for seven days.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I just received an email from Craig at C&D, and he tells me that the "Navy Cavendish" in this blend is a mixture of bright Virginia and stoved red Virginia which they soak in rum for seven days.
Sounds good to me!
Thanks for the review. I'll have to put this on the list.

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks for the review. I'll have to put this on the list.
Im gonna throw a couple of tins in with my next order. Im getting ready to have a bowl of this stuff as we speak! Yum!

Status
Not open for further replies.