PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The 50% perique in this blend sounds very interesting. Has anyone tried it? If so, thoughts?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D does some of my favorite blends -- Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, Dark Burley, and others. Four or five years ago, I tried Bayou Night but found it pretty harsh. It may improve with time, but it's not one I've bought again.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks, Tom. Ordered a couple of ounces to give it a go, just to see if it had more of a zing than other blends with its high perique content.
Duane

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I tried a couple of ounces.

It was harsh as mso489 mentioned. It did work well as a blender for some weak aros that I had at the time.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I recently bought an ounce and didn't find it as good as other C&D blends. I wish I would have seen this post earlier, I would have sent you the rest of the oz. that I purchased.
On a somewhat related note. The C&D blend Mountain Camp, is the same recipe as Bayou Night except the Latakia and Perique percentages are swapped. Now that blend is one of my favorite bulk blends that C&D makes.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I to was taken by the hype an reviews I read, only I was a bigger fool I got 16oz of it. harsh is a good description of it, also got billybudd, Havana daydream, haunted house an bookstore . my opinion disappointing all. i'll stick with my irish flake an nightcap, Kentucky bold.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
First bowl, a Savinelli 904 alligator.
Charring light- definitely latakia, and more plum than pepper from the perique.
Smoking- latakia still faintly present but more a framework to build the flavor around. Still more plum from the perique, and it mingles nicely with the nutty sweetness of the burley. A sour on the back of my tongue pleasantly comes and goes that I attribute to the Turkish, and my guess would be that the presence of Virginia is what is subduing the perique's pepper down to a wonderfully strong plum.
Conclusion- easily an all day smoke for my palate, and have ordered a full pound after my initial smoke. Good stuff!
Happy smoking all!

Duane

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
On my third bowl of this, and it could well be falling into my top ten. Believe Constellation will be my next to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.