Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
There are a couple of tobaccos that don't give me tongue bite but seem to just feel spicy burn/irritate the back of my throat/nose. I expected C&D Autumn evening to be smooth but find it has this quality, I'm thinking its the Virginias? Anyone find this with Autumn Evening? or is this common with some Virginias? Or just me?

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
It's very common in aeromatics and some virginias to me. I personally didn't get tongue bite with Autumn Evening. You may have smoked it too fast and hot. Or, you may just be sensitive to that particular blend on that particular day. We are all different....some more so than others on this forum! Search the forum for some tongue bite tips and give her another go soon. Good luck. Autumn Evening is one of the few aeromatics I enjoy on occasion.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Yeah I just had another bowl, I really love the maple flavour and I don't get tonguebite but man its the strongest tobacco I've ever smoked.. like a strong cigar almost. Maybe its the batch or like you said Deuce its probly just me. What I might do is order an ounce of it bulk and see if its different.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've never gotten tongue bite from AE but it will irritate the back of my throat from time to time. This only happens if I smoke too much of it. Since it's a Virginia, slow down your puffing rate and that will help with the bite. I also found that smoking AE in a cob helps since the cob has a much more open draw so you don't have to puff so hard and the cob seems to enhance the flavor.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Ok so I had yet another bowl and right when I got to the last 1/3 of the bowl stirred and re-tamped it totally mellowed out while the maple flavor came through much more.. which is strange because you'd think it would get harsher... now if it would smoke like that for the whole bowl....

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I don't like C&D AE. The stuff smells like pancakes, tastes like maple...and something else bad. I even tried it from a new pipe...same effect. It doesn't irritate or bite, but I have been smoking for a long time and primary tobacco is an aromatic.
As for Virginia....generally I like to retrohale with it as it gives a little burn. It varies, but seems to be the culprit, would have to smoke it straight to know.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Autumn Evening reminds me of a good pancake breakfast with lots of syrup. One of the more intense and flavorful aros.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Yep, maple syrup on pancakes is right.
I'm not a good aromatic smoker, but I liked it. Packed light in a roomy bowl and a large cob.

glassx7

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Is it pancakes? I just ordered 4 oz of bulk to try and I swear it smells like coffee in the bag.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Mine smells just like and only like maple syrup no question.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
First bowl of AE, impression! Not what I was expecting, the maple/vanilla is nice. I swear I've seen a comment somewhere that they add scotch to the sauce, maybe not. Can anyone confirm? Any way, it's a very soft tobacco (in taste). I've been smoking nothing but Golden Days of Yore for the past few days, it's a stronger tobacco and therefore AE didn't have as full a body. My son said the room note was nutty, he is a huge fan of the Golden Days room note of rum and chocolate. Must've hit his nose differently, too. Powdery ash with no Dottie. I like it. I'll probably add a rant/review later on this month.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I had the exact same experience with Autumn Evening, as did a friend. It has a nice room note, overwhelming maple tin note, so I was expecting some very cool, smooth smoke...
Mine does smoke cool and dry, but it's one of the few tobaccos that has made me cough or burned my nose a bit. I actually don't get any tongue bite. I don't think it's so much the sweetness.
Also, I think I felt a little nicotine from it, which is rare for me. That surprised me, since most aros seem lower on the nic spectrum. That said, I was smoking it very fast because it was cold outside... I always seem to rush through a bowl when I get too cold.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
AE does have a nicotine kick, if it didn't I'd probably pass. Almost pulled the trigger on another tin today, but decided on C&D Oak Alley. Definitely next time.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I just had 2 bowls of AE in a very small cob, wow when that maple kicks in it sure kicks in!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I found it did not agree with me at all, I tried smoking a second and possibly third bowl with 6 months or so between bowls and could not smoke through a bowl on any occasion, I dumped the rest of the tin into my leftovers jar, and I do appreciate the maple flavor when watered down with a bit of everything else.
Isaac

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The Pipe Monk is on to something here. The longer Golden Days of Yore Stayed in the jar the better it got. It

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I could smoke this tobacco all day. The phrase 'all day' means what? Ya....exactly.

Autumn Evening can be too much of a blast to the nose out of the tin for some, but its smooth, cool, and flavorful nicotine laden Virginias ( I thought it was the burley that had the nic? ) burn easily and without undue moisture (and its accompanying heat) when properly cadenced.

C&D has become my go to source of bulk tobacco. Yeah Jeremey and crew! Yeah Tarlers!

Status
Not open for further replies.