PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Sunday evening I doing a photoshoot, I'm tired and set my camera down, set it next to a ladies phone. There was a soft pinging sound coming from my camera. As soon as the phone was moved, no more sound. One note, the camera was on standby. Any ideas why this would do this on its own?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Probably cell signal interference. Place the phone next to a speaker and see if it causes any kind of disturbance.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
I don't know who the lady is that had the phone next to my Hassey. My cell phone, a cheaper type, won't do this. Silly modern electronic stuff. Life was simple with film and a camera that had a battery just to operate the meter.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I miss my Canon SLR. The winding and flash charge sounds just say "camera" to me.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
I know what you're saying. I had lots of enjoyment shooting a Graflex and a Mimiya, the Horseman large format was a hoot to use. My wife and I had a dark room for many years. Then I moved into the digital era (error), faster turnaround, send images as they were taken. Now some want it almost before I get to the location. One day I'll get a case of the you know what and sell all this photo and computer junk. Getting old I guess. When the fun goes out of it, the money isn't important. I turned down an assignment and my buddy picked it up. The models were just nasty self centered jerks to work with, the less clothes they have on the worse they are. Money is not important to put up with that.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Me? I really like not having to wait for Kodachrome to return from the lab. I can be in the field checking the histogram now and then. Digital does have some real advantages over film. Does take a while to get used to the different look between film and digital though.
Bodies are more expensive but, cards are cheaper than film. After many years of digital I miss the look of Kodachrome but, not the delay in shooting to getting the transparancy. Most editors I know favor digital over film for submissions, storage and ease of editing.
Want testy models? Try a hungry grizz. Kidding! Models can be nearly as bad editors. Brides can be the worst. I no longer shoot humans in studio settings.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Part of me misses the older Canons, the "scent" of the darkroom and the magic in the developer. But with digital, I don't worry about getting each shot exactly right, usually taking several per subject, whereas with film I shot one, and one only for the most part. I make very liberal use of the delete button both in camera and after download.
So far, my cameras have not noticeably communicated with other electronic devices.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Some newer bodies happily interact with phones, iPads, computers and the like. Check your settings, especially "bluetooth." You could be uploading without knowing it.I enjoyed my darkroom time.
Strangely, I do not miss it at all. I'm getting much more time shooting, more keepers, and I don't smell of chemicals. I still do not like culling and editing where necessary. After nearly sixty years I still strive to get it right with each shutter cycle. I'm close to 90% getting it right in the camera and that's not in a controlled studio setting. Obviously not being in a controlled setting, contrast is of the most concern.
An eagle with white head and brown body is usually the most challenging of my regular subjects. Any shooting on a bright, sunny day can be a pain. Give me nice, flat light and let me concentrate on the subject and I'm a happy camper. Add a bit of rain to soften the scene more, saturate the colors, and I'm really happy!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Coffin, those pings were probably the result of radio frequency interference from the phone (RFI) energizing some part of the camera sensitive to and not shielded from whatever the phone was putting out at that time. Standby is merely a low-current mode.
Different phones put out different signals at different times, depending on the brand and and other things. They are constantly polling the nearest towers to let them know they are there. If the phone can do this to the camera in standby, just think what it might be doing when you hold it next to your head?
As to Canons, I'm still a big film user. I have large format, medium format and 35mm. You can still buy film and get it developed, though it is getting tougher. I have a T-90, A-1 and F-1 Canon bodies and SD lenses from 7mm up to 400. Great stuff. It is only too bad that Canon didn't go the route that Nikon did and keep their old SD lenses compatible with their newer digital bodies, though with great effort, you CAN buy kits to convert some of the SD lenses over to mount and fully operate normal with an EF body.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Man, I do miss the smell of a darkroom!

I think I still have my old home darkroom setup in storage somewhere.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I make my living as a photographer. Worked at a daily paper for 21 years starting with film in 1985. I loved printing my own work, but hated the kind of production printing that I had to do to make money. Digital wins hands down in the combination of elements that I need to make great photos, get them to the client quickly and easily, and get paid for it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Photography has figured as a large and integral part of my work for close to 40 years. I resisted the pull to the dark side of the force as long as I felt digital was distinctly inferior visually, to film. Two years ago I made the switch and I have no regrets.
With 24 years of production experience using Photoshop, there's very little that I can't do to improve or seamlessly alter an image. That was my career until I left visual effects and went into animation. Digital offers much greater flexibility than traditional film. Still not quite its equal for information storage, but more than close enough.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jesse, I have never, ever had a client complain about digital image quality. And I started digital back in 2000 with the Nikon D1 at..what? 2MP? And those old color emulsions like Fuji 800 that we thought looked so good. Now, in retrospect, they look like crud. Image quality of digital is better than most any film, but more importantly it is infinitely more flexible. Clients want to be part of the image making process, and (most of the time) that interaction leads to better images and happier clients.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Digital wins hands down
It sure is! Digital is MUCH easier!
As to image quality, not quite fair to compare digital to 35mm. If you want to test image quality, put digital up against 6X7 cm Pentax! That image quality is equal to roughly 20MP digital. Most people use digital more in the 5-7MP range with exceptional results.
But with film, if you shoot film it can always be digitized to get all of the post-processing benefits. A lot cheaper than buying all new lenses for a digital camera.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Film:Digital is really an Apples:Oranges argument. Working photographers have all but abandoned film. It has ceased to be. If it wasn't nailed to its perch it would be pushing up daisies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
The only negative to digital, my opinion, is the rapid advances being made with pixel size. I only shoot full frame unless I need to reach further with big glass. When I drop into a crop mode, I still have the large pixels (lots of information the smaller sensors/pixels can't gather), just fewer of them with no change in f/stop. My extenders mostly sit in the bag now days. New bodies are expensive and I'm paying for video capability which I'll never use. So now, instead of paying thousands a year for film and processing, I'm usually spending the same or more for upgraded bodies. I'm a sucker for large pixels and plenty of 'em. At least until the sensor is able to resolve what a lens can.
I do know some collage instructors who insist beginning students shoot in black and white on film. The philosophy seems to be that doing so better grounds the new shooters with a deeper understanding of light. I maybe agree, not sure though.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
In my line of work, fire investigation, the advent of digital has been a boon. A "normal" fire scene with film would've had 2-3 rolls for about 36-72 pictures. With digital I routinely take 250-300. I was at a Wildland fire a while back and I took around 5,000 pictures.
The best part is that I don't have to develop them. I copy them to my iPad for better viewing in the field to make sure I have the photos I need and then transfer them to my computer. After that they go to two different cloud services.
I usually shoot at 8MP until I need pictures that will probably need blown up then I switch my Sony A6000 to 24MP.
Oh, I shoot in auto mode for most of my pictures because the Sony has a great sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.