PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
This morning I called my Congressman, spoke to an aide, There is an Honor Flight due in today and there was talk of Mounted Police to be at Barricades of WWIi Memorial. Told the aide my congressman should be at that barricade to make sure those men who traveled far and are in the Winter of their life get to see this. I told her I was a Vet and was so disgusted with my Government.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I got this note from my congressman:
As of midnight, the Democrat-controlled Senate has refused to pass any of the three continuing resolutions proposed by the House of Representatives. As a result, the federal government will shut down until an agreement can be reached to resume government funding.
I have always believed that Congress should be held to the same standards as everyone else. As a result, I have made the difficult decision that my staff will be furloughed. And, though the Constitution requires that members of Congress must be paid, I will pay back to the U.S. Treasury the salary I am paid during the shutdown. I had hoped that a shutdown could be avoided: I encourage all New Mexicans to contact their Senators and urge them to pass the House Continuing Resolution and end the shutdown.
I have voted three times to prevent a shutdown, and have asked all sides to negotiate and compromise to reach a fair solution.
From the beginning, I have advocated the elimination of Obamacare exemptions for Congress and congressional staff. I submitted an amendment to the Continuing Resolution, and introduced legislation, H.R. 3198, to accomplish this goal. Today, the House has made this a central piece of its position on the bill to continue to fund the government: Washington lawmakers, staffers, and appointees must sign up for Obamacare just like all Americans. We must end the special privileges for the political class in Washington. More importantly, I call on my colleagues in the Senate to stop demanding special privileges for themselves and do the right thing and align Washington with the rest of the nation.
God bless you, and God bless America.
STEVE PEARCE
Member of Congress
At least he is not keeping his pay. I wish my Senators were the same but they are Democrats and love the free handout.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I just saw a newsclip on this - evidently the veterans were told they'd be arrested for going around the barriers. They just looked at the "police" and said, "I'm 90, and he's 91(in a wheelchair) - go ahead and arrest us, but personally I wouldn't do that if I were you." Then they went around the barriers. They weren't arrested.
Bravery doesn't fade with age, it grows stronger. Thank you Brad for this post and calling attention to this travesty.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It's ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL! The Government is actually spending money to do this.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
May God continue to bless and keep our Veterans. The government doesn't own those monuments - the Vets bought and paid for them with blood, toil, tears and sweat.

Jan 8, 2013
Our greatest generation is quickly fading away one by one. It won't be long before there are no more WWII vets alive. It is a disgrace that our government would dishonor them so. They should be given the red carpet treatment at that memorial, not kept out by barricades and police. :(

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
They are just making a bid to get the debt "ceiling" raised and to blame the other party for the financial distress. Like racking up more debt is what we need right now, if that was helpful in any way, I would go out right now and get in-debt on 10 different credit cards. I could have all the pipes and tobaccos I could ever want right now, the only reason I don't do it, I don't want to live in the streets a month or two from now. It would be sure nice if the government had at least that much financial sense.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
This is preposterous.
I do feel bad for the police offers who are also trying to keep their families fed and their lights on, when they are told to arrest War Vets. They are in a hard spot too. Its the people in charge of them that need the negative attention.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
@ tarak they have the benefit of no one person or group being able to be blamed. If anyone's name would come up that had any kind of power at all, this stuff would not happen, or it would be immediately reversed as an "unintended consequence."

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
That is the lowest blow I have EVER seen to get funding, it is very disgusting. If the congressman actually showed up and got the police to back off and let them inside, it would be a huge boon to their campaign,

IMO the photo op the whole point of this publicity stunt . Shame on who ever sent these guys on a plane knowing full well the site was going to be closed? It hasn't been a secret. These people were rubes in t-baggers sideshow. If they think they are scoring points with fairly sophisticated swing voters they are wrong. 8O

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Parks closed and parks barricaded are two different things. Even though the shutdown itself was known, no one outside the Park Service knew how it would be enforced. In prior shutdowns, the open air parks like the Lincoln Memorial weren't barricaded.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Shame on who ever sent these guys on a plane knowing full well the site was going to be closed? It hasn't been a secret.
I was wondering about that myself, but still it wouldn't have required much money to keep it open. There are some things you just don't shut down... Besides it's costing them probably more money to enforce the shutdown than it did to keep it open. If they plan on generating revenue from fining the war vets, they got another thing coming!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
daveinlax, I don't want to start a political discussion, but i'm not sure I understand what a "fairly sophisticated swing voter" is, the government's closing of "open air" sites was not limited to the WWII memorial. It also included the Martin Luther King Memorial, the National Mall and other sites throughout the country. I would suggest this was done deliberately, for political reasons. Either that, or the Government is incapable of operating with any common sense.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Those visits are planned way ahead of time, A 90 or 95 yr old doesn"t have the time to wait until the imbeciles we voted in can get their act together, if they ever will. One more thing these men don"t know a tea bagger from a left winger, they are the salt of the earth, most left home at 17,18, and never had the luxury of Teen Time, theirs was spent in a foxhole, rolling Destroyer , or high up in the frigid air dodgeing flak. Shame on anyone putting politics on this thread, Honor the Men, Women who gave so muchand asked for so little.0

Status
Not open for further replies.