PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
I just wanted to share this mini documentary with you guys, It's about a forest in Japan called Aokigahara. Every year up to 100 suicides happen in this forest. The short film follows a geologist who works in the forest on a patrol. He has some very deep insights in to human nature. Its a beautifully shot and scored short film. I found it really quite moving.
http://www.vice.com/vice-news/aokigahara-suicide-forest-v3
You can turn the german subtitles off by clicking on the little "cc" button and choosing "none".

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Weird, works for me when I click the link. I suppose if you're determined to see it you could google "Vice Aokigahara". Not sure why it wouldn't work for you though.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Social collateral damage is wreaking havoc in the USA too.
the Japanese put alot of pressure on themselves to succeed. That in itself is admirable but it makes people crack under the pressure.
I will watch this later, good post :puffy:

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
the Japanese put alot of pressure on themselves to succeed. That in itself is admirable but it makes people crack under the pressure.
They touch on exactly this briefly in the film. That coupled with the fact that a lot of life can be led behind the screen of a computer but the need for face to face communication is there, the need to see peoples faces, hear their voices in person and connect as humans is a need that is still there and is not necessary being met.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Honourable suicide centuries ago as was referred to as Seppuku (spelling is prob wrong*edit-was, but it's fixed. -J) When dishonoured due to war, battle, personal life, business etc, a dishonoured person would assume the kneeling position, place the short katana sword against the swell of the abdomin off to the left side and just under the floating ribs, push it in, rip sideways to the right, back to the left to the midway point and then up and or down. This was considered the Honourable way to take ones life and redemed the honour back to your family. In later years, a swordsman would stand behind the person and on the first push of the katana, the swordsman would cut off the head of the person committing Seppuku. This was adopted merely as an act of mercy.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
It's "seppuku"
I always forget the spelling too
But the good point is this, the basis for the ritual in Japanese history was to express the inability to bear with the shame of dishonor, and to make right for it.
It's hard to call a suicide in that scenario selfish, like it usually is.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
At first I got a black screen too, but it just took a few seconds to load the advert trailer for some thriller flick that I won't see. The film is well done and very eerie. I think the core helps accentuate the story. Thanks for sharing!
-Jason

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've seen quite a few suicides and murder-suicides. They seem to come in rashes. A whole bunch of people will do it around the same time and then nothing for awhile.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I've seen a documentary on this a while back about an anthropologist who is called in regularly to try and work with the remains for identification. Apparently the place is so crowded with left-over clothing, stuff and even tents, that they sometimes don't find the bodies until months if not years later. It was pretty eery

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I saw Destination Truth do a show in that forest. What was really creepy is the day before the episode aired a guy jumped off the 45th floor of the time share tower I was working on building. Definitely not the best way to start the work day. That forest is just as, if not more, creepy than the island of dolls in Mexico. Great Destination Truth episodes, especially for Halloween.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I wonder if paranormal investagators have been there or a paraphysolgest? i would bet theres something supernatural going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.