PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Nothing is bigger and more classic as a pipe smoking staple than a calabash pipe. I wasn't sure I'd ever get one, but things change and the eBay odds can be in your favor. The stars aligned for me this last week when I just happened to search up estates. Low and behold a calabash pipe (not listed as such) and proper stand were ending in a few hours, with no bidders.
A few hours and $40 later it was coming my way. It was going to require some work. The stem was discolored from saliva and oxidization. The bowl appeared to be caked a bit and it was just generally dusty.
before-side-1-600x450.jpg

before-stem.jpg

before-bowl-600x450.jpg

I got it in yesterday afternoon after a short trip from Nevada and was impressed with how well everything fit together. I also noticed upon disassemble that this was certainly used to smoke english blends because the lingering smell of latakia in the gourd made itself known.
The cork was in fine shape still and looked healthy. The meerschaum bowl has a few scratches on it, but nothing that presents and eyesore. The body of the gourd was in fine shape and the stem fit firmly into the ferrule.
I dumped the stem into a warm cup of Oxyclean and let it sit for an hour. I then used lightly damp paper towels to ream the bowl and the cake came out easily after a few reams. A soft pipe cleaner removed the remaining cake in the draft hole.
I also wiped the gourd down with a damp paper towel which removed dust and oils. The inside of the gourd was a different story. I dumped Everclear into it, filling it up to where the cake had built up on the inside of the gourd, about 3/4 of an inch below the draft hole of the cup. I used a small bristle brush to get after the grunge which some did come off that I could see, but cleaning one of these proper doesn't seem to be an easy task, or even possible to 100% completiton. I let the Everclear sit for a bit, at the very least I'd let the pure alcohol do what it does.
After the oxy bath for an hour I went to work on the stem with some Everclear, pipe cleaners, Magic Eraser and MicroMesh pads. The pipe cleaners didn't fit too well because the lip was very narrow, I couldn't get one to pass completely. It did yield some nastiness, but mostly just oxidized coloring.
The Magic Eraser got out most of the rest of the surface discoloration while the MicroMesh cleaned up the roughness left from the oxy bath. I went through just about every MM pad and still couldn't get that mirror shine everyone says they can produce, but it was certainly black again and that's all I was concerned with at the moment. I put some Obsidian on it and left everything to dry.
I put it all back together this morning. I'm pretty convinced that this is a Pioneer as I've looked at many pictures for comparison and the Pioneers look just like it in construction and materials.
Anyways, here is the pipe now. I may hit the stem with some White Diamond and also use some carnauba on the gourd.
after-side-600x450.jpg

after-bowl-600x450.jpg

after-stem-close-600x450.jpg

I have not smoked it yet, but it seems to draw well and good unloaded.
Any advice/suggestions from more experienced calabash owners would be appreciated as it seems the ownership group of these is far smaller than pipe smokers as a whole.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Nice job. Is that a Pioneer? I have one but have not smoked it in years. It may be time to clean it up too. Thanks for the cleaning tips.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@papipeguy, as I said in my post (graph before the After pictures) that I do believe it to be a Pioneer based on comparison photos. Your welcome for the tips, I got them from previous PM and Puff posts about the subject.
Good luck.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Nice looking 'bash. Let us know how it smokes. I heard you shouldn't let the alcohol sit for too long inside the gourd, and when you dump it out pour through the ferrule side and not the bowl side so as not to mess with the cork/glue.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@eightywon, indeed. I did not let it sit for too long, just long enough for me to hit it with a bristle brush to loosen up whatever would come out. Then I poured it out the ferrule end.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Certainly looks like my pioneer. Congrats on the find it should serve you well for many years.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@papipeguy, I like. I haven't gotten around to trying mine out yet, still smells of Everclear.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Taking the bash out on my first test drive and I LOVE it. It smokes cool, I packed it full of Escudo and it lit right up after the charring light. The only thing coming out of it is some good VaPer smoke with zero bite. Really happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.