PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Anyone have a calabash that they smoke regularly? I'm talking about the gourd style with a meerschaum bowl.
I've been intrigued by the pipe and the potential for it to offer a unique smoke, but wondering if anyone else who has got one keeps it in a rotation. Seems like it could just be a novelty, and I don't see many people talking about them.
I've been looking at some in the $200-$400 range and the quality seems pretty reasonable.
So, how's your experience with this type of pipe?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Had a Pioneer Calabash for years. The chamber on a Calabash was just too shallow for me to enjoy and the overall size was just too cumbersome. It finally went into the trash from lack of use. They are interesting in construction and history, but they take a while for the gourd to saturate with tobacco oils and until they do, blends will come out tasting flat and bland.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
That's interesting. The bowls do seem surprisingly small for such a large pipe.
I'd not considered the need to season the gourd.
The style certainly caught my attention at first, but I have a feeling I might tend toward feeling the same way as you about it. Guess I was just hoping for someone to say that it consistently delivers the most mind blowing smoke they've ever had and why isn't everyone buying one of these?
Thanks for the impressions.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
They are worth giving a try, and estate pieces often come up for around $100. A perk is that they do tame harsher blends.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Oh interesting, ive only had gunked up estate clalabashes. I have a gourd meer one now and love it. I would second everything chasing embers said except throwing out a pipe, I don't throw out empty pill bottles so throwing out a pipe seems like putting a puppy in the trash to me.

Anyway, yes it's a big pipe with a short smoke and the novelty is in the looks and a certain English detective. However the smoke is fantastic. A very functional novelty. Very dry and cool and tasty. If you have the funds for a new one go for it. And grab a stand if u want to display it. Really no pipe collection is complete without at least one imo.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
t it consistently delivers the most mind blowing smoke they've ever had and why isn't everyone buying one of these?

Ok I said it, your welcome. Now just get one already...

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
img_5464-600x450.jpg

img_5462-600x450.jpg

img_54571-600x450.jpg

Here's the one I was looking at. In pictures with 2, I was leaning to the one on the left side.
Was it a pain in the ass to clean out the gourd portion of the pipe? That was another concern of mine. How do you even work through that bend with anything but a pipe cleaner? On my briars, I used a shank brush with alcohol once in awhile to refresh my pipes. For me, at least, it makes a big difference. Any maintenance tips for a gourd?
It's the sort of deal breaker for me. And already, the idea of having to season it is a bit of a turn off.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Thanks eggroll, that settles it...
In that price range, there are some fairly decent briars to be had. And meerschaums too. I think these calabash's are interesting looking pipes, but they'd have to deliver the goods in the way of a nice smoke, otherwise, I can't be bothered just for the sake of looking like the weird guy I want to look like when I'm walking down the street with one of these things... which is a strong checkmark in the plus column, but still, it needs to taste good and last for at least 20-30 minutes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I would fill my gourd section with high proof alcohol an let it soak for an hour and pour it out of the stummel end careful to avoid contact with the cork liner. That curve is massively open and I would sometimes run a flexible bottle brush through the gourd to scrub it. You will need lanolin to keep the cork pliable, and sometimes the bottom of the meer bowl will soften from absorbing tar. To fix that, turn the meer bowl upside down, place on a flat surface, and hold a flame to the bottom of the bowl until it catches fire. Allow this to burn off, and when cool it will be hard again and good as new.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I would second everything chasing embers said except throwing out a pipe, I don't throw out empty pill bottles so throwing out a pipe seems like putting a puppy in the trash to me.
I just have too many decades of pipe smoking behind me. I just see them as tools now. When they fail to perform the way I want or expect, in the bin they go.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
How bout i be your new trash can? Haha. Your not suggesting that he fill a brand new gourd with alchohol are u?

Rat I think your gonna be happy, I think all your checks are in the plus column here. Just keep in mind the break in period chasing embers brought up...

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Good cleaning tips. I'd be a bit reluctant to fill a gourd with liquid, but maybe it's ok?
I've got a mate set, which is a gourd, and I regularly fill that with water during the winter when I'm trying to keep warm. Basically, it's like smoking a pipe, but only drinking tea, which means I can get a bowl in between bowls. It does noticeably change colour, but has never become soft.
I'm still undecided on the calabash. I tend more to the functional side as well, however, this would be a sort of exception if the smoke was something especially unique. Blends like Jackknife Plug come very close to turning me green, and for that, I tend to stay away, despite the fantastic flavour. If this pipe toned that down a bit, maybe I'd go for it.
Tough call on a pipe like this.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Yes thank you for clarifying. B4 I figured that out and that the bowl comes off years ago i used about 1000 pipe cleaners...

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I have one that I bought about 50 years ago, and I like it a lot. Smokes very cool, never a gurgle, and it very rarely requires cleaning. Burns anything I load it with. Easy to clench in spite of its size because it is light weight. Only drawback is that it is a stay at home pipe. When I do take it out, it always gets stares and comments. I never heard of a need to season it or clean with alcohol, and I take it apart only every couple of years and hundreds of bowls. You definitely need one!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I echo Chasing Embers sentiments. I purchased a decent one at the Chicago Show. Nothing special about the smoke, smaller bowl capacity and cumbersome to handle. I think I paid $135 or $150. Paul Hubert (Larryson Pipes) looked it over and said it was well made. I would sell it for $100 if you want it. Been smoked half a dozen times.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have 5 of varying shapes & sizes and I love them but as others have said they are cumbersome and I wouldn't smoke one outside but as I only smoke in the home that isn't a problem for me. certain blends smoked in a calabash are AMAZING an example would be Gawiths Revor plug which I love in a briar but it really sings in a bash another would be Gawiths Black XXX Twist which in any of my briars (even with a 9mm filter) I found too strong but in a calabash I enjoyed it so it can open up the option to smoke some stronger tobacco than you otherwise would, also as others have mentioned they smoke very cool & very very dry, as you can probably tell I'm a BIG fan of the calabash.

Chris.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I've got mixed feelings about it all. The price for one of these is around $300. Fine.
But, I don't have any experience with them, so determining the ideal bend, size, etc. is more difficult for me than choosing a briar shape/size I like.
img_5448-600x450.jpg

Here is what is available. I may keep looking or abandon the idea altogether. Tough call. The responses seem to be a love/forget about it reaction.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The only real way you will know if you will like one or not is to smoke one and so it's a bit of a gamble, if you can afford to take that sort of gamble only you know, me personally I love them but as you can see others don't rate them so I'd probably say if you're a bit unsure maybe you'd be better off spending the money on something you KNOW you would like such as a briar or more tobacco etc. As for the shape of the bend I personally have not noticed a difference in the way they smoke but I found a tighter U shape full bend sits better in my hand, apart from that mine all smoke very cool & very very dry.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.