PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
I am looking at the currently available Calabash style pipes. I am intrigued by the appearance, but have no experience with this particular style. Are there any rules of thumb surrounding the Calabash pipe? Is there a particular type of tobacco blend that is a classic Calabash match?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
What's to know about a calabash, make sure it comes apart before you buy it and never let liquid soak in while cleaning. That's it.
Tobacco is up to you really, most like to smoke stronger blends as it tones them down. Hot burning blends as well. Try some five brothers, mellows that strong blend down to a bearable smoke.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Just finished reading Schrier's History of the Calabash Pipe and it was a great resource. Basically you want to find a calabash with good fitment of parts and no damage i.e. cracks/chips/fills. According to Schrier the cap material isn't as important as having an African Gourd body since coloring of the gourd is what you're after. I've been looking at the Baki calabashes, but they are, unfortunately, out of my price range.
Roth, I believe that the Strambach caps are pressed.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I can't say much for the high end calabash pipes, except like any pipe, if you can afford it, go for it!
I do have and love my Butz Choquin gourd Meerschaum Calabash. They run between $200 and $250. It is an excellent pipe. Its listed as a block meerschaum. i havent confirmed this but it is definitely not like the processed meerschaums i have played with. It Started to tint in the first 1 or 2 smokes. It is one of my prize pipes! :puffy:

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I really like some cheap pipes, dr garbow and corn cons smoke great! With that being said you can not get a cheap calabash. If your not familiar with how to fix them I wouldn't even suggest buying used. Make the decision to buy a nice 200 dollar new one or don't try at all. Everything else I could say has already been said by these great guys above my post.

poligerard

Lurker
Dec 28, 2012
roth
Josh, my Calabash was also made in Saint Claude, France, in the 1960's; real gourd, block meerschaum bowl, vulcanite stem. I paid $70 for it at Erhlich's Pipe Shop in Boston in 1967. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if mine was also made by Butz Choquin.
you are a lucky man :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.