PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Just curious on a calabash gourd is it possible to change out bowls on one for example a porcelain or stamped meerschaum for a block meerschaum?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
J. H. Lowe has meerschaum replacement cups. Just have to know the diameter of the cup that fits into the cork seal.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If you are looking for a meerschaum bowl insert for an existing calabash, your safest bet would be to send the whole pipe to the maker / repairman. That way they will be able to ensure the new bowl will fit properly.
I think the member meerqueen might be able to help you more. He has been very helpful with my questions concerning meerschaum.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
FYI I have experimented with this, and it is pretty hard to find exactly the right size replacement meerschaum bowl. You may have to sand down the cork ring for a good fit.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Thanks for the info guys I was really just curious if it is possible to do because a calabash pipe with a porcelain or meerschaum stamped bowl seem to be more abundant and well cheap compared to higher end calabash with a block meerschaum. I'm trying to keep my budget good on this project and figured it be fun to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.