PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have seen a few threads popping up recently regarding gourd pipes, so figured I would throw one out there as well. I have a Pioneer gourd calabash, and the shank end of the gourd is twisted a bit to the right. Any way of softening the gourd to reshape it more symmetrically?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Was thinking about a vinegar soak. Vinegar can turn chicken bones rubbery, but they become rigid again once dry.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No experience with gourd pipes, but I'd say this is only worth trying if you are ready to sacrifice the pipe

if it doesn't work. It could crack re-drying, and the finish could go funky. I think it's possible to re-do it,

but it requires luck and knowhow few have. If you decide to do it, let us know how it works. It is a risky

but intriguing project.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Think I'm going to try as soon as I finish my tea and this bowl of Black Frigate.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's the shape of the gourd which makes each pipe different and singularly individual.
Are true calabash pipes making a come back? I'd heard that the gourds were getting hard to come by. This was a few years ago though. Perhaps the market has changed.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Mine is around 30-40 years old, but have heard that a variety of the calabash gourds are being grown in the U.S..

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I'd heard that the gourds were getting hard to come by. This was a few years ago though. Perhaps the market has changed.
I just bought a new gourd calabash from my local pipe shop. The guy who owns the place claims that African Gourds are virtually nonexistent or disappearing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
neil: I heard the same but, it was close to 30 years ago. A way of keeping prices up? Nah! Too many would have to be in on the conspiracy to keep that secret.
embers: I warned you. DO NOT BE MESSING WITH MOTHER NATURE! She can exact some terrible revenge. Just be happy with your "one of a kind" calabash. You'll look very extinguished when strolling the neighborhood with your off center bowl billowing clouds of poisonous, reeking smoke.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Figured I was already in trouble with the Green Mother by twisting seedlings into bonsai, so figured what the hell. On a side note, calabash gourds are used as water and wine bottles, so should have figured vinegar wouldn't phase it. It is incredibly clean on the inside now though! :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The bad news is the vinegar wash didn't soften the gourd. The good news is, you still have a smokeable pipe.

I'd go with what you have.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Ran across this article on the subject of gourd availlabilty and more:
http://www.shpcboston.org/savethecalabash.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.