PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
In a different thread, another forum member mentioned that he wipes down his bowls after smoking and does not build up a cake on his pipes. I do this as well, but only because I got into the habit when I started pipe smoking, not even thinking or knowing anything about building up a cake. It appears we are in the minority here.
So, give us your best reasons for letting a cake build up or not.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I wash and/or wipe my bowls out with a damp paper towel. I build cake, you want a little cake, but you don't need much.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
When I do the initial deep clean on a estate pipe I've gotten I do my best to take it down to the briar. After that I clean all the pipes I smoked for the week with everclear so only the barest cake develops. That way I don't get any taste of the prior tobacco I smoked.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I like cake :mrgreen:
birthday_cake-600x483.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Same on estates I acquire, but after, I rinse thoroughly with very hot water, then towel dry. I don't like ash in a new load, so I rinse the chamber with water, towel dry, then reload in a few hours.
So, I am a thin cake guy, too.
Edit/// Cake: Hmmmmmm. Cake with silicone!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I believe the pipes don't smoke well enough without a good amount of cake. Nickel sized usually. I think I get a better flavor, since I only smoke one or two tobaccos that are both burley.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I let mine build up just because I'm too lazy too wipe it out after every bowl.
When it starts getting thick I scrape it out with a reamer or a pocket knife. This is true of my briars as well as my cobs.
My meers (which don't get smoked near as often as they should) don't really build cake. If they do start to get a little something built up in the bowl I wipe em out real good with a paper towel.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
No cake here, I allow the inside of the bowl to carbonize and that's it, no cake. I wipe the bowl out with a paper towel after every bowl and they stay cake free.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Most of my pipes have a thin cake built up.
Reasons include insulating the briar, being old school, and wanting to spend as little time as possible maintaining pipes.
I might do a quick wipe down or ream with a czech tool while cleaning a pipe, depending. I want the cake no thicker than a nickle.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've bought estates where they were caked up like no tomorrow. Great pipes, but I removed it all to build by own fresh, thin layer because I often wash out bowls and that thick cake is like a sponge that traps flavors from old tobaccos and water from the rinse.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've bought estates where they were caked up like no tomorrow.
Same here. Some to the point where there was just a little tunnel in the bowl the width of a pencil.
I brush out the bowl after a few smokes with a nylon bristle brush, like this:
2474F8CB38FF608AF1241_edit500p-vi.jpg
It gets the ash and dottle out, but leaves some of the harder carbon deposits to build slowly. That would be a good name for a tavern The Ash and Dottle.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I just started wiping out the bowl, and when I learned more about cake building, it didn't sound appealing. Eliminating reaming seemed good. Many enjoy building cake and think of it as part of pipe smoking, but since I took a different road, and it works pretty well for my pipes (some 30 or 40 years old) I've stayed with not cake building.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I not really bothered whether I get cake or not - and as a result I get cake!
I don't own a reamer, but I'll occasionally have a scrape around with the spoon implement on a Czech tool, or even with a pocket knife. I tend to do this immediately after a smoke as it seems to be easier to work then.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I'm not too crazy about cake building, I clean my bowl with a pipe cleaner after I finish smoking. I have some pipes which I only use a certain tobacco so I don't feel I need the cake layer, tobacco taste better that way for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cake does not make for a drier smoke, nor does the bowl need "protecting", nor does cake make the smoke cooler. Those are all functions of other variables. Not to say that cake is wrong, or that liking a thick cake is wrong, or following your druthers whatever way they take you is in anyway wrong.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
What are the opinions on cake keeping the bowl cooler (to the touch)? IMO, I don't see that it does. Maybe you need more cake built up than I ever have for it to do that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A thick cake provides some insulation, so it will keep the pipe cooler on the outside, though the difference may be too small to notice. The length of the shank and stem together also have little bearing on perceived temperature of the smoke, also. Well, perception is something, ain't it! Scientific measurement may show little difference, but one's experience may be different; it is so if you think so!

Status
Not open for further replies.