Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Hi Guys, not sure if I'm posting correctly, can't quite figure this site out. Anyway, one of my pipes (Peterson system 303) which I have been smoking in my rotation for the past two years seems to have developed a 'channel' in the heel of it where I use my pipe tool to unblock and clear out the airhole as it builds up with gunk from smoking. I ream it regularly. However, I suspect the the reamer isn't quite reaching the very heel of the pipe, or that the end of the reamer is too thin. I further suspect their is excess cake in the sides of the heel of the bowl that has led to their being a strange channel in the end of my pipe. I can't imagine that the pipe tool has gradually worn away the actual briar in the heel of the pipe. Sorry this is so long winded. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? I recently reamed the heck out if trying to get rid of the strange channel in the bottom of it, but to no avail. Now she's not smoking as cool as she used to and I'm not a happy camper.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Having some cake in the bottom of the chamber is normal and not a bad thing. It acts as an insulator. The only issue would be if the heel cake is affecting the draw. If it isn't, leave it alone. To reduce the need to use a reamer, wipe down the chamber walls with a couple of pipe cleaners after every smoke and use wadded up paper toweling to remove buildup at the end of a day's use.

Many complain that the heel of the pipe happens so slowly that they worry that their heel will never cake. I seem to be in the fast cake camp, for some reason, even though I will ream the chamber with a paper towel after every smoke. I do have one Dublin with a conical chamber that has caked so much in the heel that it has a tunnel down to the draft also. It has changed the chamber geometry somewhat. But, I probably won’t worry till it becomes a real problem. It will be a challenge to clean the cake out, because of the difficult angles. I guess a ball shaped but could be used in a mandrel holder held by hand to get most of the shape back.
Good luck.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Might you be able to get a photo of the heel of the pipe?
If it's drawing ok, I'd not worry about it. As to gunk, I am a proponent of the very hot water flush. It freshens up the chamber nicely, and can remove some build up in the mortise as well as the whole airway. Paper towel dry and you've done a gentle ream.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
What jp and sable said. I take pipe cleaners after every bowl to gently wipe out/scrub and then hot water flush with a paper towel as needed.

It should also be mentioned that I am in the little to no cake camp.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Buttner reamers, as Jesse said. Best tool for the job. And as piano' indicated, Requisite Appropriate Disclaimer Dept.: I'm in the some-cake-but-don't-overdo-it camp. Sending my pipe through the car wash after every bowl is just to daggone much work, & besides, I like the extra insulation & subtlety it add to a well-aged briar. :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Buttner reamers, as Jesse said. Best tool for the job. And as piano' indicated, Requisite Appropriate Disclaimer Dept.: I'm in the some-cake-but-don't-overdo-it camp. Sending my pipe through the car wash after every bowl is just to daggone much work, & besides, I like the extra insulation & subtlety it add to a well-aged briar.
:clap:

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Thanks to all who posted. Finding these forums seems to be a major problem for me. I'm not that technical. Anyway, I've set my Pete down to rest for a while. I over reamed her recently and she's not smoking sweet at the moment. So, I've pulled out a Chacom to tide me over for a couple of days while I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.