Cafe Du Monde Coffee - Direct from . . . Texas?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
There was a thread recently discussing coffee made with chicory, which is quite popular in the southern U.S., particularly in New Orleans. I had indicated on that thread that New Orleans is one of my favourite cities in the world and that my wife and I had spent many a morning sipping chicory coffee and eating puffy golden beignets misted with icing sugar at the world renowned Cafe Du Monde in that beautiful city.
We would usually sit at one of the curbside tables under the green and white striped canopy to watch street performers. Whether taking shelter indoors from a sudden lightning storm or the sweltering heat, we were always left with the same feeling – this is a place with a heart big enough to contain the whole world.
In that earlier thread I lamented the fact that I could not seem to find this style of coffee north of the border.
Luckily for me, Brandon (pipebow88) -- a gentle pipesmoker from the proud state of Texas who, at least in my rather vivid and perhaps eccentric imagination, wears a ten-gallon hat and rides a horse to work each morning -- recently visited New Orleans with his beloved wife. And, in a very gracious gesture, he was kind enough to send me two large tins of Cafe Du Monde coffee that he picked up on his excursion along with a couple of samples of some Boswell tobacco blends.
I should say that I was stunned to receive this. When he said he was sending some coffee my way, I had thought maybe a small packet would arrive. I was stunned to see two very large tins along with some tobacco. (I did scour the box for beignet crumbs, but alas, apparently Brandon did not think a beignet would survive international shipping and still be edible, :rofl: )

Many thanks Brandon!

Dec 24, 2012
Brewing up my first cup of this wonderful coffee this morning. I love it with about one-third warm milk. Tasty stuff.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
:clap:
Nicely done, pipebow88!
Glad to hear you're making Cafe au Lait, Peck. That's the way that stuff is meant to be consumed... unless, of course, there is some brandy handy.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They were jammed last week! I noticed several knock-off's have appeared, with identical green & white awnings. My daughter says there is only one Cafe Du Monde! Enjoy the coffee and memories.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
One of the things you can get also is a packet or box of beignet mix from them. I can tell you this, growing up in Louisiana, there is nothing better than waking up early in New Orleans on a fall or spring day (we avoid summer) and sitting out on the outside seating area having coffee and beignets.

Dec 24, 2012
Peck, does Amazon not ship the stuff up north? I would think they'd ship it anywhere.
Amazon.ca (the Canadian Amazon website) does not list it as being available, unfortunately.
I did find a place on ebay that would ship north, but I enquired about the shipping cost twice (and whether they would combine for 2 or 3 tins) and I simply never got a response.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have heard many things about this coffee and the cafe itself. I've never been, but the wife has been there before. She is going to New Orleans for a work conference in August and I have requested that she brings back a can of this stuff. She's staying a block from the cafe, so I am assuming she'll be indulging in beignets and coffee every morning (especially since she'll be almost 6 months pregnant). So jealous that I couldn't go with her.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Just hope you enjoy it Peck, how do you hit a guy who owns almost 300 amazing pipes and several lifetimes worth of a tobacco cellar? Coffee he can't get, lol. Just a small token for all of your posts we get to enjoy.

B

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Guys if you ever need any Cafe Du Monde coffee or anything else from New Orleans, please hit me up. I live right in the city and I'm more than happy to help out...

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Toby, do you ever go to Morning Call? I use to prefer them to Café duMonde even after they moved from Decatur St to their new Metairie location.
I went to a function at the New Orleans Museum of Art a good while back and saw where they had opened another location next to the museum in City Park.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Toby, I am planning on coming to the Big Easy in August, hopefully the same day as the pipe club meeting.
I want to start the day at Morning Call in City Park. Then hike on over and across the bayou to Parkview Tavern & Bakery for a sloppy roast beef po-boy. Then, for a mid afternoon snack, some Grits & Griards at Galatoire's. But, I don't think I could handle chicken wings at the meeting by the end of the day.
Bradley, I'm fishing Vermillion Bay Saturday morning and there is plenty of room on the boat if you are interested. I'll be driving by Hebert's around 430am on the way :wink:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Thanks for the offer, but my balance Is gone, I"m really a relic now. You fish the Trash Pile? I used to fish the Cove, then go into Marsh Island and fish the Dams. Also the reefs in front of the island, then slide off to Tee Butte.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I've fished T-Butte a couple of times. Since I launch at Intracoastal City, I don't fish the trash pile. I prefer the Vermillion Corp canal which is consistent with Reds and Drum or I fish the shoreline from Redfish Point to the mouth of Hog Bayou. Caught some Specs last trip just north of Hog Bayou along the shoreline, all on plastic as I had run out of market shrimp.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
They are so bad before sunrise that I swear they can pick one up off the deck and suck all of your blood. I have to wear a head net and a can of OFF Deep Woods till the sun rises.

Status
Not open for further replies.