PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Gentlemen, as some may heard me mention, my pipe cabinet will be designed to contain classic and post-modern sculptures to accompany the pipes. The first is my own work, done when I was twenty::

img_0723-297x600.jpg

The second is Houdon's "Cold Girl"

afdtwu74439.jpg

Next is the Three Graces:

173251.jpg

"Followed by the Rhodes Venus:

g-020sm-2.jpg

Some studio studies:

visions-of-monique-nude-female-studies-holding-knee-holding.jpg

That's a lot of statues. There's one last I'd like to add, Rodin's Dainaid but I wonder about adding the unabashed sensuality tf the Rodin. Too much, do you think?

2003-4-1v1-pma-600x398.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I take it none of the statues work for you? I was thinking of placing some Catholic statues as well, but thought that simply wouldn't work with a theme of Greco-Roman and post-modern nudes. Sorry about that.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
They all look very cool, I've just never been fascinated by nudes. I don't find them distasteful or anything though.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
With sculpture, I tend to go with what I like: putting a statue between each shelf is an interesting idea, but would take a lot of space and I want to keep the cabinet medium size, with the sculptures to decorate the pipe contents. No family photos because the house is toxic with them. This cabinet is MY cabinet, and in placing my sculpture with the other pieces, there is so little competition I don't think it will stay. The pipe shelves will hold about 32 pipes; The first layer will be a little high to hang some photos of my Gabrielle witch-pipe pic, with her autographed picture, and another creepy pic I came across on the back. Then the following two shelves, a shelf for the statues, the top shelf which will also act as the top of the accessories drawer, then the tobacco storage compartment. Stain with be a transparent forest green. The decoration will be done with mitered molding around the edges, with plexiglas used instead of glass for the door to the pipe compartment.

As for the statues, they are a mixture of Naturalism (Cold Girl), Greco Roman (the Venuses, except for the Renaissance Botticelli Venus, arguably the best artistic representation of woman ever created), and Impressionists (If I have room for the Rodin, but as I expressed earlier, possibly too sensuous for me) and the dark women represent modern Post-modern art. I regret not being able to add religious art, although if I could find a good small representation of the Angel Michael standing above Satan holding a spear, not a sword, I would use that. The Pieta would also be good, but a good small reproduction would be hard to find, and I'm currently looking for the Bruges Madonna. (This was the much sought after statue in the movie, "Monuments Men."

Going along with all this is a refurbished Ethan Allan desk I picked up at a garage sale for $35: one fellow expert in this sort of thing places the age as possibly as old as 100 years. It will be repaired thoroughly and with the same stain as the cabinet.

img_0721-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.