PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I have commissioned a custom bent bulldog from Chris Askwith and it will have a blue cumberland stem. I would love to see your cumberland and colored cumberland stems. The only one I currently have with a cumberland stem is my Northern Briars pipe.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Nate where are you getting a pipe commissioned? Here is a pic of an Ashton that gave me the idea. The cumberland Mr Askwith has is darker.

Dec 24, 2012
There are some different cumberland colours here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/michael-parks-rhodesian-set
I also like the blue one on my Roush: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/larry-roush-quaint-pipe

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
The more recent ones appear much darker. The current cumberland that NYH is offering doesn't have the real bright contrast which I prefer.

Nate King: orange cumberland

004.jpg

Ruthenberg: bright red cumberland.

005.jpg

Cardinal House (Cannoy): NYH cumberland
DSC_3321.jpg

The Dunhill Root at the top has a handcut cumberland stem from walker briar works.

002.jpg

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Damn Tarheel that's really nice! I'm going for an astronomy themed Bulldog done by Michael Parks. I might have to borrow that blue. It fits with my theme. Lately I've become enamoured with the bulldog shape, a converted billiard guy.
Sam, awesome pipes! I'm a big fan of Nate Kings work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm going to have to do my homework to clarify what is authentic Cumberland and what is simulated. I think most of my Cumberlands are handsome acrylic versions. I think my Ferndown (courtesy of a Forums member) is likely the real McCoy. I may have one or two I assume are simulated that are the real deal. But like the simulated bone Ferrule on one of my pipes, they look great and I don't enjoy them less if they are of an alternate material. The pipes on this thread are a feast for the eyes. Classy stems, classy briar.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
huntertrw the draft hole looks pretty small or clogged. Might want to get it checked out.

I was told that Cumberland is Dunhill's trademark name for that style. Brindle is the actual name of that type of striated vulcanite. So, calling all of these that are not Dunhills a Cumberland is like calling all tissue Kleenex, or all photostats Xerox. We all know what you mean, but they are not Dunnies.
What I hear of being called fake are the acrylic versions of these brindles. Real would be the vulcanite versions, and the best made in Germany.

Dec 24, 2012
Cosmic, I would suggest that the name has become genericized, much like thermos, aspirin, cellophane, escalator, kerosene, laudromat, and linoleum, to name only a few trademarks that have become genericized through common usage.
Do you say "I am going to bring an insulated vacuum flask to hold my coffee" or do you say "I am going to bring a thermos to hold my coffee"?

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
^^^ Have to agree with that. Doubt Dunhill is going to start suing anyone over the use of Cumberland.

Status
Not open for further replies.