PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I notice in winter, when my house and basement are generally chilly, that my pipes seem to build up more moisture than usual during a smoke. I attribute this to the natural phenom of hot colliding with cold and creating excess moisture. As such, I tend to reach for my spigots during these months since it's easier to blow the moisture out.
Anyone else struggling with this phenomenon?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I notice a little more wetness as well. I came to the same conclusion of warm tobacco, warm pipe, and cold air.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have made the same assumption Six. I also assumed that is why filters are more popular in colder climates, think Germany and Brigham in Canada.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Glad I am not alone in my thinking.
I also assumed that is why filters are more popular in colder climates, think Germany and Brigham in Canada.
Could be...

The phenomena is called "condensing" thusly condensation. The bi-product of combustion is water vapor, even from bone dry materials, and when it is pushed through a cold tube you reduce it from the air, making water in the stem. You should actually be getting drier smoke with it, but of course the water ends up in the gurgley stem. It's the same process that we use when making moonshine ...ummm, I mean wood alcohol (yeh that's the ticket). You push the vapor through cold copper coils to separate the water from alcohol.
Eh, sorry, chemistry was my other major.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I did notice that too. So in the morning all my daily pipes(usually 3-4 bowls) pack with tobacco and put in a little warm place like near by heater(not too close) or room temperature place.

that give little bit dry tobacco and less moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.