PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Hello all,
I recently acquired 29 jars of C.B. Perkins Tobacco...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/hello-my-name-is-dino-amp-i-have-tad
As my other post indicates, my initial reason for buying these was to get the jars. But I've learned that all but 3 or 4 of the jars are over 1/2 full of tobacco. The seller, admittedly not a pipe smoker, shared with me that the tobacco was surprisingly moist. That's a good thing I hope.
So, my questions are...
1. Has anyone heard anything about C.B. Perkins Tobacco blends?
2. Did they do the blending themselves or use someone elses services?
3. Any recommended sources or sites that I could research these on?
4. Any other knowledge or information on or about C.B. Perkins would be appreciated

(Basically all I know about em is that the first store opened in Boston MA in the early 1900's and that they sold out to DES Tobacco Corp in 1986.)
Thanks in advance.
Dino

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Wish I could tell ya Cosmic. They are en route as we speak. My son is due to roll into Pinehurst on Monday.
I'll definitely keep ya'll posted.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Their site does not seem to imply that they have any in-house blends.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Kanse,
You reference "their site".
Did you find a C.B. Perkins Company site or one of their stores in MA?
Either way, I'd be interested in perusing it.
Thanks
dino

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Well, I've had the jars up in the mancave for about a week and a half now. All were in relatively good shape but 3 or 4 are missing the seals. So, I've been on the lookout for replacements.
As to the smell, taste and overall condition of the tobacco????
The vast majority of them seem to be some sort of aromatics. I have two jars labeled Vanilla.
The tin note on most of them are almost the same. Don't know how to explain it exactly, but it's a cross between stale sugar cookes, store bought white cake and a whiff of lawn mower clippings with the faintest aroma of tobacco.
I know, I know, not exactly a JimInks review, but it's the best I can come up with.
I've sampled about half of them so far and they're somewhere between meh & good. For instance, the jar labeled Mild English was absolutely the mildest English I've ever smoked. Nonetheless, it was fine, but not too exciting.
I smoked from one jar labeled Mystery Blend last night. It wasn't too bad and actually more flavorful than the Mild English. But one of the vanillas and one of the cavendishs were pretty much tasteless smokes.
Admittedly, I'm not an experienced tobacco reviewer and really don't have much experience in the way of Aro's other than my penchant for peach cobbler and the occasional CB Cherry. :)
So, over the next couple of weeks I'll go through them all and decide which ones I'll try to either trade out of or???

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Don't know how to explain it exactly, but it's a cross between stale sugar cookes, store bought white cake and a whiff of lawn mower clippings with the faintest aroma of tobacco.
So that would be "a mild, easy-burning smoke with our famous aroma and flavor."

Status
Not open for further replies.