PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
I stopped by the local cigar shop today and spied a tin of C & D Pirates Kake. 75% Latakia. I smoked one bowl and I have a feeling that I am going to need to smoke a few more before passing judgement. It didn't strike me immediately as my new favorite. I love Latakia blends but after smoking this one I think I must like it as a background condiment as opposed to being right up front. I see it gets really good reviews though. Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love Pirate Kake. I am not as eloquent as some, so here is Jim's review from earlier this year:
The rich smoky, leathery, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is the star component, comprising 70% of the blend. What keeps this from being a total lat-bomb is the dry, buttery sweet, woody, earthy, moderately spicy Turkish, which is noticeable in every puff. The cavendish cut burley provides a little nuttiness, toast and earth in the background. The nic-hit is medium. The strength level is just shy of the center of medium to full. Won’t bite or get harsh, though there are a couple rough edges here and there. Burns clean, mostly cool and a little slow with a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a pleasant, lingering after taste. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable.
I agree with this review.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
I've come to love the stuff and have just jarred a pound for the cellar. In fact, I'm inclined to source another pound for good measure.

Mar 29, 2016
Pirate Kake and Billy Budd (that has cigar leaf), represent American tobacco mixing greatness. The Turkish in Pirate Kake makes it shine with sweet and sour notes.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
Pirate Kake is definitely something I have to be in the mood for. I love latakia, but PK overwhelms my taste buds. I have tried to smoke back to back bowls but did not find the 2nd bowl as enjoyably as the 1st. However,on a cold night, by a camp fire with a heavy stout......AWESOME!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After getting burned out on English blends, anything with more than a tiny bit of latakia tastes exactly the same to me. Pirate Kake, Gaslight, Penzance, Nightcap, and the rest taste exactly the same. I can no longer taste anything but the latakia.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The stash I've got is from 2008 when you could still order directly from C&D for $28 for a pound brick. Still strong to me. It is good for spicing up other blends though.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
chasingembers

After getting burned out on English blends, anything with more than a tiny bit of latakia tastes exactly the same to me. Pirate Kake, Gaslight, Penzance, Nightcap, and the rest taste exactly the same. I can no longer taste anything but the latakia.

Agreed, although I have a tin of 965 I'm going to try in hopes that the latakia is not too much to the front......

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@derekflint
Blends like McClelland's Oriental No. 6 are more to my liking. The latakia is there, but far in the background, and frames the blend nicely without overpowering it.
003-041-0038.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I started the line on the board was that you either liked or didn't like latakia. I decidedI liked it and smoked it with relish for a few months. Then I decided that I didn't like it and it went to the sidelines, and other than a short romance of about three months during 2014, it stayed there.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd have to say that my mouth reacts more to Latakia than any other varietal.

I've tended to leave it out this past year, and when I do smoke a blend with Lat, it is more for shock value or contrast rather than complete acceptance.

A light touch has become my preferred ratio when it comes to Latakia in a blend. A little goes a long way.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I used to like PK a lot ( and wish I still did ) but now I just can't take that full latakia taste. The Burley and Turkish I no longer taste...just latakia. Mixing it in with something seems my only option...BUT WITH WHAT ? Went down the same road with da Vinci and ended up mixing it with Bayou Morning which wasn't too bad.......

justdafacts

Lurker
Oct 31, 2017
I have not tried PK yet, but I have tried Nightwatch and I like that one a great deal. How does Pirate Kake compare to Nightwatch?
Justdafacts

Status
Not open for further replies.