PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Recently I have been toying with a few thoughts on 'blending your own' or BYO to the rest of us. I have read a few things on the forum but most of the posts seem to involve people doing something that will result in a finished product that whilst pleasant to the nostrils and your fellow man doesn't pack the 'wallop' I need from a tobacco. Most home blends seem to be a bit like your first asian girlfriend, very nice but also very clingy and totally willing to do anything your 20 year old mind could dream up in the conspicuous degeneracy department!
That being said Dan recently gifted me bag of shredded heavy duty, tobacco leaf which sort of resembled old dark fired but smelt really good. I also have a few feet of black Irish twist that was a very kind Xmas present from Eighty Won out in California which is a brand I just love. As the old adage goes 'the devil makes work for idol hands' and since I have been stuck indoors all week I thought I would experiment. I found that by slicing the black Irish twist into 1/8th inch thickness until I had a pile of twenty of so slices I was able to rub out the coins with great ease and which probably weighed about 1/4 oz. To this I added equal amounts of Dans tobacco and Condor and rubbed the whole lot together before adding to the finished mixture to my tobacco pouch. I must say the finished product not only burned evenly but had a very distinctive room note. In terms of nicotine it packed the right amount of 'wallop' that it was advisable not to smoke on an empty stomach. The resulting ash was a fine steel grey color and the only criticism I have of this interesting experiment was the speed I burnt through a bowl. A bowl of Irish twist usually will last me an hour or so with perhaps a couple relights whilst this seemed to be all done in about 30 minutes.
Anyone else here tried their own blending experiments?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I like to mix and match quite a bit.
Sometimes just for one bowl and sometimes entire jars full.
One example is 50/50 H&H Stogie with Louisiana Red ... "Red Stogie".
At last, I decided that I should just buy the blending tobaccos and give it a go.
So, after much trial and error, I recently developed my own blend and named it "Black Mamba".
It's a medium-heavy English blend with a fair dose of Perique ... slightly Nightcap(ish).

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Unfortunate sexist and racist comment aside,

I think sometimes we over think tobacco.

Nice to see that codorlover1 smokes something else.

I've been dabbling with some cigar leaf additions and have enjoyed its flavor in a few of my burley/cavendish blends.

Also, sometimes I add some of my Newminster 52 to a codger or some other tobacco just to get some of that smokey spice in there.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If a blend doesn't have what I want for a particular smoke, I like to spice things up with a pinch of Pirate Kake.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@newbroom: Not really. I was just curious to see what else I could do to pass the time during a rather boring snow week. Thank you for the 'sexist' and 'racist' compliments, you missed out 'misogynist' as well. I come from a place where we speak our minds and are not afraid of polite sensibilities. In my neck of world people who are that worried either attend the Vicars tea parties or hang out in the locker room of the YMCA!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@newbroom: You are ahead of the game there my friend. This is New York and I am doubtful that even 30% of the population could spell the word! Here is something you might enjoy that puts my views of the world into perspective! :rofl:
http://youtu.be/bFb5-2hHddc

Status
Not open for further replies.