PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I saw somewhere on a forum post saying that I couldn't buy loose tobacco with credit cards or paypal? whats loose mean? the site i'm wanting to buy from is justforhim.com I wanted to buy some of their custom blends, particularly the middle earth series of tobaccos, and black magic woman. For some reason it says they won't ship to Iowah, would I be allowed to ship it to my friend who lives in Iowa so he can smoke some too, we don't get it, because he bought hookah tobacco with it online
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
Thank you, but what about sending my friend some, have you ordered from the site mentioned using paypal? also how do i get that signature at the bottom, as I love corn cobs

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It will say paypal on the site if it's accepted. I always use 4noggins.com for my orders. The signature on the bottom comes from the company so they handle that part.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Paypal is presented as a convenience, and if it becomes the only way to order, I may line up

and shut up. Here's what bothers me. Retailers won't accept my personal check through the

mail because they don't want to take the risk it will bounce, so we go to an intermediary, some

credit card issuing company. But now, for various reasons, retailers don't want to accept

credit cards (usually because they charge the retailers fees) so we go to another intermediary,

paypal. The string of renunciations and refusals gets longer (and longer). How soon before

we have to go to yet another financial corporation to go to paypal, which will then be paid off

by the credit card company. This is like some sort of children's book with a long chain of

referrals, like The Little Red Hen. My local independent tobacconist has competitive prices,

and will accept my checks, so think about that online retailer, credit card company, and

paypal. My independent may not have all the pipes in the world, nor all the tobacco blends,

but he's willing to risk my signature, and he's never been stiffed in over 35 years. Something

to think about whilst falling to sleep.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
mso,
"Retailers won't accept my personal check through the mail because they don't want to take the risk it will bounce"
That's a pretty broad statement. I accept personal checks and have done so for many many years. It can be done through my website by placing the order for what you want. In the checkout section indicate "Check" as payment method and hit the "Send" button. We are then notified of the order, pack it, and have it ready to go as soon as your check arrives. We don't even wait for it to clear!!!! Assuming we know who you are or a regular customer.
Most of us associated with this hobby are pretty straight guys, and Ive yet to have any problems with a check.
Hope this helps in your decision making.
Rich

4noggins.com

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
+1 on using 4noggins. I placed an order last Friday for 5 tins and had it delivered on Monday. Fantastic!!!!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
PayPal's user agreement says (or used to say) that sellers shouldn't use it to accept payment for items that contained tobacco, unless it was a collectible item sold through eBay. As a purchaser, if you are ordering through a reliable source, such as a site sponsor, then I wouldn't worry about PayPal's rules if the website accepts it as a form of payment.
I have no idea why these sites are refusing to ship to Iowa. WA state has a law against it, and many people have questioned the constitutionality of the law.

Aug 14, 2012
Another +1 for Rich at 4 noggins. Paypal is a great way to pay if you do not trust the retailer. If/when you do not get your order, it is easier to get a refund than with a credit card. And they do not get your card number, which is protection from thieving employees.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I agree about 4noggins and Paypal, super easy and secure to order. Of course 4noggins has a great selection of blends too, like Esoterica...(wink wink, nudge nudge...)

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I called the shop today and they do accept paypal, as to the reference about me not being able to get the pipe tobacco I can it is a friend of mine in the state of Iowa who can't I live in Ohio, they ship here, strange thing while they risk losing their license if they ship it to Iowa because of laws there, the law does allow me to buy it for him and ship it to him from my house and good news everyone, I finally got a job! they say they just have to process my background check and will give me a 1 day notice when I can start working, and if in two weeks I haven't been called to call them and they will line up when I come in, what shift I work etc etc. being still living with my mommy, I am going to use my first weeks pay to get me a totally boss gandalf pipe to smoke some old toby in

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good on you Youngpiper1! I'm happy for your new job but I want you to think carefully about that first pipe order.
When I was your age I bought a Sherlock Holmes Calabash that has been in a closet for the last thirty five years. I'll be throwing it out on eBay or BriarBid within the next few weeks.
Start planning ahead now. Is the burner I buy today going to please me thirty years from now?
Youngpiper1, I've got several pipes I bought as a teenager and they're still some of my best smokers. Go figure.
Fnord

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I know it has been said multiple times in this thread, but I would strongly reccomend 4Noggins. I have had nothing but great experiences with Rich and his staff. I have also never had any issues with any form of payments going through.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I used paypal at pipesandcigars.com.
It was a flawless transaction and the stuff came quickly to my girlfriend for her unbirthday...
+1 for P&C

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
4Noggins, point taken. I appreciate the retailers who will work with customers, and I don't

mean to paint a negative picture with a too-broad brush. Also, it has been pointed out

by others that paypal has a security feature for the buyer as well. Nearly all of my experiences

buying online or off have been good. Also, business folks have to fend off questionable

means of payment; it's expensive to chase the money. Nonetheless, the multiple means

of conveying payment can be daunting when merely having the money to buy the item/product

is only the beginning of the process. It's likely a perception thing more than an issue.

Do I want to get into paypal can be the question, not, do I want the pipe? Or so it seems.

I'm glad you feel good about working with your clients; that's got to be a key to success.

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
fnord, these gandalf pipes are brand new from the box replica's made by the people who made the ones for the movie and I have seen some very good reviews from it online. and I do love lord of the rings.

causeway

Lurker
Feb 4, 2013
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of 4noggins. The price of tobacco in the UK is now unaffordable - £11.50 for 50 grams; what's that - about $15? So I've been looking for a site which will let me buy at a reasonable price and which accepts PP.
But I was wondering if anyone knows whether duty has to be paid on tobacco entering the UK, even if it's only a few ounces?

Status
Not open for further replies.