PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Ive been smoking pipes for about 7 months now. I have a wonderful source of estate pipes, Stanwells, Savs, Peterson etc

I was nearly about to pull the trigger for two very nice, but expensive artisian pipes. But then I thought, I rather spend the money on tobacco to stock up.
If you where new and should buy now, or If you are new to pipe smoking, what do you spend your money on? Tobacco or Pipes?
Is it better to stock up on tobacco and buy estate pipes rather than spend big on new pipes?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Focus on pipe tobacco at this point until you get a good stash. Keep experimenting with different tobaccos. After you get where you are starting to get comfortable with your tobacco, then branch out more into pipes. Odds are very good that the hammer will fall on pipe tobacco so get what you can while you can.
As for estates or new pipes, that is your preference. I've never really taken to estates but they are a good way to save money and get the nicer pipes. But, in my opinion, focus on your building your stash first.

May 4, 2015
^ all of that stuff.
I wish I had some of the money back I wasted on pipes that I am indifferent about now. I'd have lots more tins of lovely tobacco.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
I started out 2 years ago, after putting down the pipe after I graduated college (close to 20 years ago). What I did was a healthy pipe acquisition over 2 years, about 1 pipe a month, then at the same time started sampling tobacco.
the tobacco and pipe hobby I find is great way to spend very little money compared to an electronic gadget habit, or at least that is what I was doing before getting into pipes and tobaccos.
I think if you got some pipes you like that you think you'll be smoking for the rest of your life, find out what kind of tobaccos you would like. I am a big latakia fan, so I stick with English blends for the most part. I'd say if you have a few pipes you like start getting into tobacco. it is about smoking and finding the details in the lovely smoke, and relaxing (for me at least). If you have hoarding tendencies then you are doomed, as you'll get pipes all the time and tons of tobacco you'll never smoke in your entire life. But whatever floats your boat :)
I would say stick with new pipes once you get into it, also save the cash and get an artisan to make a pipe custom for you (that's what I did), it means more that way to me at least.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
After one year of pipe smoking, I can say that having enough pipes that smoke without problems is essential to the enjoyment of pipe tobacco over the long haul.

Cobs pretty much smoke w/o problems.

Estate pipes are an element of the 'hobby' all by themselves.

New pipes are fine, but so are new cars, if you can afford and have to have one.

Without tobacco, a pipe is pretty much 'art'.

How much do you smoke? Are you happy with your pipes and tobacco?

In this first year I've acquired rack space for 35 pipes so far, and more than enough pipes to fill them.

Briars, Meers, Cobs.

I've also accumulated several pounds of a variety of blends, mostly bulk and codger blends, but a representative number and variety of tinned tobacco.

I'll be focusing on tobacco from here on since that's really the primary motivation for me.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Both pipes and tobacco can be resold. Do you need 200 pipes or 200 pounds of tobacco? Of course not. Send your money on whatever it is that keeps you interested.

Dec 24, 2012
Build a decent rotation first and then focus on tobacco. Once you have a decent tobacco stash that you are comfortable with, then you can buy some nicer pipes. That is the model I have followed and I am pleased with where I am now. I buy very little tobacco these days - maybe around 4 tins a month.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Personally, I concentrated on tobacco in the beginning. I did my research, determined what genre's of tobacco work best for me, and began cellaring. Blends which I tried and fell in love with got cellared deep, blends I was curious about got purchased in lots of 3 (1 to try, 1 to age, and one to age longer).
I have reached the point (finally) where my TAD is more or less satisfied. With that said, PAD has taken hold.
My experience has taught me one thing, it does not matter where and how you start, once PAD and TAD have taken hold, there no escape until both are fully satisfied.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I would stock up on tobacco. There will always be pipes available for sale somewhere. The chance that tobacco will be hard to obtain in the future is a very real possibility. More states could ban mail order tobacco sales as well as increase taxes out the wazoo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
New pipe smokers usually evolve quickly as they try blends, so I wouldn't buy a shelf of tobacco for smoking into the future. A good stock of carefully selected blends in small quantities probably serves your purposes at this point. If you have ten, or so, pipes, that should hold you for while. You can always buy three or four cobs to bolster your pipe rack if you feel that you need it. I'd base your interest on learning types of blends, and give yourself time to consider and enjoy. What tastes wonderful and makes you want to buy a five pound bag today might not seem quite as wonderful in six months with the five pound bag jarred in your cellar. Take it easy, take it slow, and let your taste, and your cellar and pipes evolve. Despite our inclinations, buying pipes and tobacco isn't the essence of the hobby.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks for the input guys!
The tobacco-ban ghost is lurking in the shadows I guess, expecially in my part of the world. I feel like I have, or very soon will have a decent pipe rotation, smoking about 4 bowls a day. Ive kind of decided to focus on tobacco, thats what im interested in aswell so. If i see a must have pipe and I can afford i will go for it. The thing is, its like that every week basically :D
I love 1Q, will that blend loose taste or aroma while cellering? It is an aromatic

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What tastes wonderful and makes you want to buy a five pound bag today might not seem quite as wonderful in six months

mso489 has provided sage advice, and his entire post should be considered.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Pipes -OR- tabacco, neigh, it is Pipes -AND- Tobacco.
A club member and friend of mine owns 8 classic Ford Mustang cars.
He buys cars -AND- gasoline.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Buy a few pipes until you have enough to rotate through them and then focus on building up the tobacco supply. Once your tobacco supply is to your satisfaction then revert to buying pipes and tobacco as you feel the need...or want. :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
A very good reason to start hoarding/cellaring Harris....not that I need to tell you that. :puffy:

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I'm three months into pipe smoking. I focused on pipes so I wouldn't oversmoke any specific pipe. I started with two Petersons, then got two really cheap, no-name eBay Briars ($24 each). Besides those, I've got three Cobs and three other Briars that are my favorites. Now I'm not so driven to get pipes and I'm going to focus on tobacco. I'm currently suffering by not stocking up on tobacco, though. I can't order more online for a week or two, so I'm stuck with OTC blends (which I get in town at inflated prices) and one unopened tin of my beloved Nightcap.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
True, pipe tobacco is ridiculously cheap compared to cigarette tobacco right now. May not stay that way forever but you would be hard pressed to spend $12,000 per year on pipe tobacco, as one of our brethren has admitted, or more appropriately, you would be hard pressed to find somewhere to store it all! But TAD and PAD being what they are, the addiction is not going away...

Status
Not open for further replies.