PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
I lived in Canada until almost three years ago, and on a recent visit to British Columbia I checked out 'Old Morris' - a lovely tobacconist in Victoria on Vancouver Island. I didn't smoke a pipe when I lived there so I didn't really know the cost.
I sniffed a number of loose blends and settled on 1 aromatic -'Saratoga' and an English 'Pub' I liked the look of a nice Savinelli pipe too. The pipe came in at around C$200 (since looking in the UK the pipe is about £50!! ) I didn't buy it...
He said the Provincial law meant the smallest size of sale was 50grams per tobacco (I really only wanted a smaller amount of each as I don't smoke that often) My girlfriend then offered to pay and the price was over C$100!!! I immediately said to her I would choose one blend as it was too much! She insisted and bought both of them.
a) I am a lucky guy - not many girlfriends would spend $100 on their man's pipe tobacco for no reason!

b) What's with the minimum amount?

c) what's with the high price - are taxes really that bad? I looked on line and 24¢per gram is the tax so $50+ seems a lot. (UK is about 11p per gram but most 50 g tobaccos are about £13.. even with a weak C$ that is almost twice the price...

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Welcome to Canada, my friend. Tobacco price is 7-8 times of the USA price and the booze is 2-3 times more expensive.

And do not forget sales taxes (15% in QC) on top.

Haggard

Lurker
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
Unfortunately, you got hosed, as they say in Canada.
I live part time in Victoria and know the Old Morris shop well. It used to be quite good, with knowledgable staff. Perhaps 1-2 of these people remain.
It is an elegant shop with a good deal of history, for Canada, anyway. Did you notice the 6 foot tall lighter in the middle of the room? Is it still there? If not, it was always running with a flame on and you could light your cigar (or cigarettes) on it in the past before the anti-smoking laws came into effect. It was a hell of a thing.
I'm not sure if it was a change of ownership or if it was because of the new laws. Perhaps both. It has since become a "gift shop". I know there is still some tobacco in there, but that is nothing, not even close to what it used to be. It's too bad, because it was a great place to walk into when they actually focused on tobacco.
A much better place to get tobacco, with staff who know what they're talking about, is a couple blocks up the road and toward the harbour where the old blue bridge is being torn down. It's called "Goodfellas." That is where I would recommend you go. Especially if you want a good cigar, as they take care of them there. I was in Old Morris about a year ago out of nostalgia and saw a box of cigars in their counter display completely overtaken by mould. I asked the guy if it was a new brand they were promoting and if people actually liked cheese growing on their cigars. He just shrugged his shoulders and asked if I wanted one.
It was horrific. Haven't been back since.
Goodfellas keeps a much bigger stock of pipe tobacco (and better pipes) and it's the same for cigars. All well maintained, but unfortunately, all at the extortionist rates in Canada.
Also worth checking out is 938 Fort St. It's a Cuban cigar shop, really, specializing in rare Cubans, but they also have pipes and pipe tobacco. It's more orientated to finding hard to get cigars and they guy there is first class and knows what's going on. Still worth the trip for pipe products though.
Best to pop south of the border for any serious purchases of tobacco though.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I live an hour and a half north of Victoria. I have only been into Old Morris once and will not return. gregescott's suggestion of Goodfellas is spot on as it is a much better store. However, if anyone is every on the island you are much much better off driving to Nanaimo (1.5 hours north). Smokerings is a store on Church street. They have the bigget selection of pipes in British Columbia and a huge wall of pipe tobacco. Both the owner and the other guy that work there are pipe smokers, very knowledgeable and always happy for a chat. Prices of tins are also good for this part of Canada and some of it has been sitting on the shelf for a while so the aged stuff is cheaper! Their minimum bulk amount is 25 grams so I don't know what Old Morris is saying with 50g being the provincial minimum. There is a also a wall full of cigars. Since I have been going there they keep getting more and more products so they are doing pretty well which is great to see.
I know this info is too late for you beerandbaccy but incase anyone else is heading to the island I thought it was worth posting.

tonywiebe33

Lurker
Jul 28, 2016
I think it is sad how much We here in Canada have to pay for our Pipe Tobacco's. It makes it harder being a pipe smoker knowing we pay way way way to much coin for our tobacco's. Im happy some of our friends in the south are willing to ship tobacco's our way at way less of a cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.