PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrivney

Lurker
Dec 29, 2010
Hey Pipers!

I thought this info might be handy: I stopped in at my local Indian reservation. This one is the Moapa reservation's smoke shop at Snow Mountain (just NW of Las Vegas, NV, off of Hwy 95). They had pouches of pipe tobacco for sale. Here's the details:
1. Gambler Pipe Tobacco brand

Types: Mint, Regular, and Mellow

Cost: $6.89 for 6 oz.

$16.69 for 16 oz.
2. Super Value brand

Types: Black Cavendish, Whiskey Cavendish, Natural Cavedish, and Classy Cavendish

Cost: $14.49 for 12 oz.
3. Big Rock brand

Types: Regular, Cool mint, Smooth

Cost: $ 6.29 for 6 oz.

$16.19 for 16 oz.
And I believe, there were no taxes. (The receipt is at home.)

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The Gambler and Big Rock look to be RYO rebranded as pipe tobacco to avoid the higher tax rate. The Super Value doesn't seem to be a great deal. 8O

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
The first and last are Roll Your Own Cigarette Tobacco that has labeled themselves as Pipe Tobacco to avoid the heavy taxation, I would advise you stay away from those!!! Now the Super Value is actually not as bad as you might think! Here is Bob's review of it and I believe he is spot on...
Super Value Black & Gold Review - Bob Tate
Don't discount a cheap tobacco just because it is cheap! :)

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Tobaccoreviews.com rates Super Value chocolate as pretty good. Anyone tried it?

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I have tried it and it is pleasant! You do have to puff pretty hard to get it started but if you slow down and let it cool back down you get a very nice smoke! Does leave a little goop in the bottom of the bowl but not much!

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Yep, I've tried it. It'll make your walls drip fairly quickly.
Moapa is very nice for smoker supplies; but slim on pipe tobacco choices. Allthough $2.58 for a pouch of prince albert is not to be sneezed at. They also carry the rest of the OTC's (sailes,borkum,walter raliegh....)
They've also recently invested in a large walk-In humidor. I was considering asking them to carry some tin'd that I'm partial too.
If indian reservation's catch your fancy Lupton,Az is not to be missed. He continues to expand his offerings. I believe I saw the complete Sutliff line as well as a solid representation of MacBarren. GordonPym was still on the shelf and I expect he intends to increase his available choice McLelland tin's.....and his bulk is altadis. Tomohawk smokes / TPSmokes.com prices are AMAZING (web site is a little ruff). Do stop by . His cigar offerings are even more AMAZING!!
Lil'brown smoke shack in Union Gap (yakima),Wa. A great little shop. Open tin's for sampling available on the counter. A good selection of bulk as well as a fair offering of tin's. Definetley worthy of closer look, and the prices again were very good.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
almost forgot. Lil' brown has a smoking lounge and espresso bar....also good prices on savenelli pipe's (under $50) as well as other offerings. Deserves a closer look.

Status
Not open for further replies.