PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
So I have some friends that are going to the UK next month for vacation. They plan on spending some time in Ireland (Dublin), so that got my wheels turning. I have been waiting for more information on this pipe to come out for a few months now. Nothing. Emailed Peterson. Nothing. Not sure what ever happened with it, but I find it quite appealing.
Anyways, this all got me thinking as to if it would be cheaper to buy a Peterson pipe IN Dublin versus ordering one online. Would there be any benefit to having them go on a wild goose chase or even buy a different Peterson from the factory? CAN you buy from the factory? I was hoping this pipe might be available in the UK, but don't know if there is a way to tell.
If any members from the UK could chime in, I'd appreciate it!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I find that British and Irish made pipes are definitely cheaper when bought in Europe. You may wish to contact James Fox, Dublin. They have a very close relationship with Peterson and are very responsive. If they can get it, they will. Good luck.
http://www.jamesfox.ie/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That sounds like the inside track numbersix has. Forums members who have visited the Peterson

store itself in Dublin have reported there is no price break there. It might be gratifying to buy a pipe

from the Peterson mother church, but you'll pay the going rate, as I understand. The only price break

I know of on Petersons right now, as their prices sneak upward, is Iwan Ries that offers a few below

the $90 point. I'm glad I already have my Petersons ... just kidding. But I do have six, I think it is.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
It is cheaper to buy a pipe there cause you can subtract VAT. Also I think if you do the factory tour you get a pipe. Also note the factory is not in Dublin it's in Sallynoggin which is outside of Dublin and you have to call ahead to arrange a tour.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I was in the Peterson shop in January and you do save some money. Maybe 10-15%. However, they need to turn in the VAT refund form. Asking someone to do this can be imposing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the VAT (value added tax) sometimes you have to submit paperwork for the refund

mailed after you get home, which isn't a great help when you're traveling. Do you think

the Peterson store can give you the VAT back at check-out, as it were?

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I definitely don't want to subject my friends to filling out paperwork on top of the hassle of going on a goose chase. I will see what James Fox has to say and then report back.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I find that British and Irish made pipes are definitely cheaper when bought in Europe.
I just realized that this sentence was not clear. I haven't been to Europe - I have however bought Petes from James Fox and their prices are usually a lot less than sellers in the U.S.
I also know members have said the same for other U.K. online retailers. So you may not need to put your friends to the trouble - just order from them online.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Do the VAT with a credit card and you'll be able to recover vat at the air-port. Try to keep it to one card, not a big deal though, just takes a wee bit more time to jump through the hoops.
Not having a decent pipe store in Anchorage I purchase my pipes at Peterson or Fox depending on which store has what I want. I do this every couple of years. Sometimes I buy a pipe, other times not. They're only separated by a couple of blocks and Grafton Street is right there. I'm sure you friends will be strolling Grafton at some time. This is required of all first- time visitors to Dublin. Also, inveterate shoppers can spend a whole day on Grafton Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.