PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrivard

Lurker
Aug 11, 2013
So I lost my old pipe, which I only smoked out of once.

I'm looking at corncob pipes, and cherry tobacco.

Are there any tips that anybody may want to give me? Like a good tobacco to start with?

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
As far as the corncob, buy a Missouri Meerschaum. Cherry is probably the hardest tobacco flavour to get right. Boswell's has a reputation for doing aromatic tobaccos well, but you have to call them to place your order. Since I don't smoke aromatics, perhaps someone else can be of better service in recommending one.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Can't go wrong with MM cobs, as for the cherry, I'd try Lane Limited "Very Cherry". It's a bulk blend, so it's fairly cheap. It's also very mild, as far as fruity aros go.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forums.
Like Nachman, I am not an aro smoker. I have tried various OTC cherry blends I have gotten as samples, and they have been, uniformly, awful. Roth's suggestion should be worth trying. Hearth and Home does good stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm happy with Altadis Wild Cherry bulk tobacco. It has a definitive tobacco flavor with a low-key

cherry dressing, but not syrupy or over-sweet. It won't knock your hat off, but it's a mild flavorful

smoke.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here's my two cents:

Cob... Missouri Meerschaum... no question, stay away from corn cob pipes produced in China.

Of course I have observed that one's choice of a cherry tobacco is a very personal thing.

Most will opt for only one...
The Cherry blend; for me, "There can be only one"...
:worship: Paladin Black Cherry
:puffy:

mattrivard

Lurker
Aug 11, 2013
I did have my eye set on one of the MM corncob pipes a few days ago.

But as for cherry blends, there are just so many options, and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Are there any other blends that you might want to recommend? They don't have to be cherry, just blends that you find have a good flavour. Of course, everybody has a different taste when it comes to these things, but I'd like to get as much information as possible.

mattrivard

Lurker
Aug 11, 2013
I'm relatively new when it comes to smoking tobacco. Whether it be wrapped, or loose. So I cna't say I have the experience when it comes to choosing specific flavours.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Of course, everybody has a different taste when it comes to these things, but I'd like to get as much information as possible
And that's the rub - taste is highly subjective, and what tastes superlative to one person tastes like cough syrup to another. I've only tried Paladin's Black Cherry of the various cherry blends, and despite being warned about its cough syrupy nature, I rather liked it - not a huge depth of flavor, but not boringly one-note, either.
Don't worry overmuch about "making the wrong choice" - unless you're planning on buying 14 oz. cans of everything. Those take a while to get through. Try a sampler - plenty of the site sponsors offer them, both in bulk tobacco styles and in some cases, tin samplers as well. A couple of ounces here and a couple of ounces there, and you'll have several to try out. 1.5 to 2 ounces is, according to what I keep hearing, about right for giving a particular blend a fair shake - and it's true. Something you think is boring and tastes funny on the first bowl may surprise you when you sit down and try it a second or third time (as I found out with Sir Walter Raleigh - I still prefer Sugar Barrel, but SWR is better than I initially gave it credit for).

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I heard really good reports on Altadis Z50 Black Cordial. I haven't tried it but intend to. I had forgotten hearing about it until I saw this thread.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
+1 to Missouri Meerschaum pipes and +1 to avoiding cheaper OTC blends of cherry. While there are some respectable OTC blends, I think its generally agreed that cheap cherry blends are simply cough syrup mixed with napalm.
To quote a Jim Gaffigan routine waaaay out of context:
"Will it burn my mouth?"

"It will destroy your mouth."

njrox91

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
Just throwing this out there, maybe pick up a grab bag from the missouri meerschaum site. 10+ seconds for 30$, roughly the price of a Low quality briar.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Mississippi River with a estate pipe that can be refurbished easily, happy smoking. Frog Morton with a stawell systems pipe without the plip. This is just recommendation only, to each his own. Some like chocolate some like vanilla. Happy smoking.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
So sorry had a misprint above, Peterson system pipes without the plip. Getting kinda old here and just wanting to correct myself, I suppose there's nothing wrong with stanwell systems, but I have never owned one. I have a ton of regular stanwell pipes and love them. But I'd say Peterson system pipe for the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.