PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordape

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm looking at buying myself another pipe and I've been looking at the Peterson System pipes.

Particularly this one: Peterson System. I've had a little look around have found the idea of the system fascinating and I'm eager to try it out. Does anyone have any suggestions/comment for or against this type of pipe?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several Forums members have bought systems Petersons either new or as estate pipes and haven't liked

them, because they are hard to clean. I would recommend a non-system Peterson. The best all-around

mid-level Peterson, to me, is the B11 bent brandy. It's straightforward, simple, a good Group 4 size,

and comes in various series, so you can buy it anywhere from about $80 to (I'm guessing) $200. I

recommend fishtail stems, not the P-Lip. Again, more people avoid the P-Lip than like it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I actually own 4 system pipes including a 314 and they are no harder to clean then any other pipe.. btw, all my Pete's have the P-Lip unless it wasn't an option.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I actually own 4 system pipes including a 314 and they are no harder to clean then any other pipe.. btw, all my Pete's have the P-Lip unless it wasn't an option.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I actually find my Systems easier to clean, as long as you have a q-tip handy. Don't let this discourage your decision... I suggest buying for the love of the pipe, and discovering the types and shapes that smoke best for you. If you never try a System, you'll never know the beauty of the design. If after you've purchased the pipe, and discover you don't like the way it smokes, you can stay away from Petersons and their System pipes. Remember, just because some like/dislike a pipe, doesn't mean you will find the same results.

Personally, I like the System pipes, and the way it smokes for me far outweighs the 'cleaning' aspects of them.
Shutterbug

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
They are not that difficult to keep clean. The important thing is to pay attention to the reservoir when cleaning. Q-tips work well as does a bent over pipe cleaner. You will also want to use a folded cleaner to swab the inside of the shank as part of the cleaning ritual but you should do this will all military mounts. I have several system pipes and enjoy them. They just take a few extra minutes to clean.
That is a beautiful Peterson. If you end up not liking it, maybe we can work out a deal and I will take it off your hands. So now you have an out if you decide you do not like it. I suspect you will like it though. It is a nice pipe, great design and will be an excellent pipe if you clench.
There might be stain inside the shank but the bowl looks to have a precarb so it might not. It is easy enough to remove with bristle cleaners and a strong solvent like denatured alcohol. Again, just a few more minutes of cleaning the first couple times you smoke it. The time is worth it as you will be rewarded with a great smoking pipe for many years.
Mike

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Also, with most bent Peterson pipe is it is difficult to get a pipe cleaner into the draft hole of the bowl if you need to. With a military mount such as this, you will not need to worry about that. Military mounts are the only bent system pipes I purchase for this reason. Its easy enough to remove the stem to clear an obstructed airway by removing the stem, even while smoking.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I say go for it. It is a beauty. Just be aware that it looks like it has the famous Peterson coating. The first several smokes will probably not taste good. After that it should be great. My bent Peterson is one of my best tasting pipes.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have long been a Peterson fan, but had never tried a System pipe until a few months ago. So I bought a "313" System Standard Rusticated. I liked it so well that I bought another, a "303". I now have a "31" on the way! I have fallen in love with these pipes! All three have the P-lip. When my "31" gets here, that will make 10 Petes in my collection, 5 with the P-lip, and 5 fishtails. They are also no harder to clean in my opinion, and have the coolest, and most dry smokes of all my pipes! Give one a try and see for yourself.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I have the 314's oversized brother, the 312, and it's one of my favorite and best-smoking pipes. As Mr. English pointed out, they aren't really any harder to clean than a different pipe. He's also right in suggesting that it won't be hard to get rid of if you don't like it, though I personally would bet that you will.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have a 320 system. It's an ebony with a smallish bowl. It's nice for a night out because of these two facts. most of the problems I have read about cleaning them has to do with estates that were never maintained. If you get it new, keep clean and maintained, it is no harder than any other pipe.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I have the big brother (now not made anymore, I don't think) the 308, and also the little sister 317. Both are excellent pipes. Always dry at the bottom of the bowl, and almost no dottle. The system really works. I have put up to 40 bowls in a row on my 317 without a single cleaning because I was on a trip. I've done this a couple times. Got home after the trips, and it was simple to clean. That's what I love about the pipe. Even dirty, she doesn't clog, doesn't fight, and smokes good. I have no clue what people are talking about when they say they are difficult to clean, other than the possibility of extreme laziness. I suppose these people think it is better to go #1, than #2, because that is also "difficult to clean".
Anyhow, I think the 314 is a great choice, and sometimes wish I had one rather than my 317 as my all day every day type of pipe.

lordape

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2013
Thought I'd give an update. Funds did not permit this particular purchase, unfortunately. Perhaps I can convince someone to buy it for me for my birthday :P

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
There are alot of detractors here against buying (and cleaning) estate Peterson Systems but if funds are tight, they are a nice value. There are a number of them available on the secondary market and they are well priced. Yes, you generally have a lengthy cleanup involved but it's not unbearable (under an hour for me for the last 2 I've done). There are usually enough available that you can almost pick any shape and it's probably available.

Status
Not open for further replies.