PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
For all of you Peterson connoisseurs on the forum, I would really appreciate some advice on a first Peterson. I really like the looks and styles of many of them, but are there any tried and trusted models or series that you might recommend for a first time buyer? I don't want to spend more than around USD 100.00 or so for my first one. Also, can't decide whether to go with a system pipe either.
I do like the styling of this one--kind of classic shape in my mind, and the price is nice--shipping to Europe not bad either:

http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2020
And here's a system pipe that looks good:

http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=420
Some have mentioned here that the quality control on Petes has gone down--do you think that true across the board, or just on certain series and models?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I bought most my Pete's from Pipe Divan and have not had a bad one. Both of those are good looking pipes.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Good prices. I'd go with the first one for my tastes and the fishtail mouthpiece. I've yet to buy a Peterson because of the questions you asked among others. I continue to be baffled by the designations and varying qualities of the different types. I've seen many variations in pipe shops and they are always impressive pipes to look at, always look solid.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
From what I have heard quality control has gone down across the board for lower end Peterson's. My first Peterson was an estate around 50 years old. I got it off Ebay and it ended up being my favorite pipe after some cleaning.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would not buy a Pete unless I could examine it in person. There are so many problems with the lower priced ones like you are looking at. I would also never get a system pipe as who wants to smoke with a well of disgusting tobacco juice in your pipe.

Jan 8, 2013
I really like the look of that first one. The B60. And that's saying something, because there are a few aspects of that pipe I don't normally like. I'm not normally a fan of black blasts, and I'm not normally a fan of the bead line cut around the top of the bowl, like you see on most bulldogs and rhodesians. But that pipe makes it look good. An interesting cross between a dublin and rhodesian that I find quite attractive.
I love my Petes. They smoke great and look great. However with the quality control issues so many talk about among the lower cost Petes I would take caution and contact the seller to inspect the pipe for you. Ask about the drilling especially. Otherwise, it's a fine looking pipe.
As far as the second Pete goes, I've never had a Peterson System pipe, although I do plan to add one to my collection sooner or later, probably in the B42 shape.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great prices. I think the blast is a better value. Quality is a roll of the dice.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I just pulled the trigger on my first Peterson yesterday, I'll post pictures when it comes in but in the mean time I'll be interested to see what you decide.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I'm also in the US and have purchased from James Fox, Dublin (Pipedivan.com). All good.

Jun 4, 2014
Most of my Petersons are from the lower end lines. I just got my new Donegal Rocky B7. The drilling was good it passes an pipe cleaner with no problem. The stem fit is good and the mortise shows naked briar so it wasn't dip stained. Hopefully there QC problems are past them.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Last week I got 2 of the same model (different shapes)from Pipe Divan. Both are spot on and awesome. I personally would stay away from the p-lip, they are different and if you hated the stem you may feel bad about spending the money.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Petes are unfairly maligned. When I displayed a burned-through Pete, the forum practically exploded. When I mentioned the same thing happening with a Sav, no response. I own mostly Petes, and just got a new one the other day that smokes great (see photo, and notice the amazing sandblast). You roll the dice with every pipe you buy, not just Petes. That being the case, I would go ahead and get one. If I'm wrong, and you can't return it because you smoked it, I'll refund you 10% of your cost. And anyone here will tell you I'm a man of my word.
BTW, I really like the rustic bent with silver mount.

002-029-280471.jpg

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
In the $100 range you could do worse than that first one. That would be my choice of the two, not being able to see them in person.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Let me add, pipefish, that I will be putting several quality Petes out for sale in the sale section in a few days. (I need to winnow out the herd.) You may want to check them out.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks so much for all of the helpful advice and comments. I pulled the trigger on that Peterson B60 black sandblast--coming in at less than USD 70 after shipping it certainly is not the most expensive pipe Peterson makes but also if it is a dud I won't be out a ton of money. Will post pics when it comes in and give an update on how it smokes.
I also threw in a 25g order of Mick McQuaid RR--looking forward to trying that one.
@Sparrowhawk--what are you doing trying to enable my PAD??
Aww hell...please post when they're available!

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
My experience says to opt for the first listing. The "system" just seems to make a mess, and I'm not a fan of the P-lip bit.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
My advice is: if you aren't prepared to spend 200 dollars on a Pete, then don't buy one. The obvious reason is the bad quality control in their cheap ranges. Avoid system pipes in particular, the design might be good, but the awful quality outweights any positive aspects.

redsoxfan777

Lurker
May 18, 2015
I love Petersons and the P-Lip. I would have gone with the 305. My experiences with the brand has been good, so I am admittedly biased, but that is because I'm satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.