PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
OK. Quick story to relate. No names. I recent went to buy my favorite bulk  blend, and the vendor said they only had 28 oz. left in bulk. So I entered 28 on the amount and clicked submit. This came to $86 or $3.07/oz. Or $49/lb. But the vendor was selling the same blend for $30/lb. I called & was informed HOW you enter the amount is what determines the price. So I entered three separate line items on the order. 16oz., 8oz. and 4oz. Now the total came to $56 total. Big difference. Buyer beware!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
That's downright backwards.
As a customer service rep myself, it would be my job to catch things like that and make sure to give them the more correct way.
Crazy. I actually still don't understand that... it's not like they are in sealed bags or tins of a pound were they? Even still...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have noticed lately with other products that the long-observed discount for buying

large quantities has disappeared. I'm not accusing this tobacco site of doing that

intentionally, but I feel sure that other marketing departments for household products

and similar items are definitely using this tactic for short-term gain. People assume

they will save by buying 32 oz. instead of the 8 oz. size without doing the math, and

instead they pay the same. I haven't run into paying more, but that may be out there.

So, don't just watch your tobacco purchases. Some places I feel sure this is a calculated

effort to rip off the consumer. This follows on the "clever" tactic of reducing the standard

size from 12 oz. to 10 oz. and charging the same for coffee, for example. In a recession,

I think that's worse than just mean spirited. Watch out. Ethics anyone?

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
As far as paying more by the ounce I have run into it once, but not tobacco. When I worked at Walmart we had Six packs of slim fast in the grocery aisles, next to the snack bars. We also had an eight pack in the Pharmacy aisle with the dietary suppliment. They were the same size cans, Slim Fast, name brand drinks, in the same flavors. you paid more per can with the eight pack because it was in the dietary supplements instead of the snack

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I always do the math before I hit buy. If I like the tobacco, I'll buy a pound. No need to buy more than a pound.

Unless your going to resell it. Which some of my friends do. They sell it to seniors that don't have a computer. It's a good will gesture to our elders.
When I shop for tobacco, I open three sites and shop until I get to the buy button. Shipping charges is a deal breaker. I select the same amounts and the same brands, so the prices should be close to the same. The shipping is the deciding factor. I've found the same two stores have the best deal's. They get all my business.

Status
Not open for further replies.