PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moscca

Lurker
May 26, 2013
Am about to order a Corona Old boy lighter.

Can somebody tell me if it handles better the wind then a Bic lighter ?

I smoke nearly always outside.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Anything has to be better than a Bic on a windy day. Let me know what you think of your new purchase. I am looking for something, as well.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
For me and my wife, outdoors it's Zippo Pipe lighters all the way. We never notice any fuel taste either. Inside I us my 20 year old Savinelli pipe lighter, it still works, and I believe it was made by Corona. I've tried other lighters and found that some work ok, some just quit working after a while. So for now those are our choices. Like the looks of the Old Boy lighters, but can't justify the cost right now as we don't really need one. Good luck with whatever you choose, and let us know how it works for you.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I have three Old Boys and love them. INSIDE! Unfortunately, they're not too good in anything above a light breeze. If you can find a Corona Targa on ebay (they're no longer made) they work well in the wind.
Djeep disposables work very well outside at a reasonable price.

http://www.iwanries.com/djeep-P6862C528.cfm

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Zippo everyday, although I haven't used an old boy, the zippo is a classic, sounds cool, and looks even better. Plus the lifetime warranty can not be beat!

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Old boy is not good in wind but very nice for inside.

Zipper lighter smell feul except gas zipper.

Imco lighter suitable for wind and adjustable fire level.

I do preper IMCO.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have a Corona Old Boy and as everyone else has pointed out, it is fantastic for lighting pipes indoors, but for outdoors I would recommend a Zippo with a windproof screen. The Coronas are beautiful and are a pleasure to use, though. I light my pipe indoors (like, in the garage) with the Corona and then go outside.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on Conlejm. Mi love my corona Old Boy, but if it lights outdoors, it's because the air is absolutely still, and you're holding your breath. It's a great indoor lighter, but for outdoors I'd favor the Zippo with pipe insert.

moscca

Lurker
May 26, 2013
Thanks for all the answers.

I'll think I go for the Corona and the zippo, although I don't like the smell of the zippo.

Is there a butane lighter that works well outside ?
Jan.

moscca

Lurker
May 26, 2013
Just bought the Old Boy and a Vector Thunderbird 102 Vintage Brass Butane Lighter.

Will take more then 3 weeks for shipping to Honduras.

Will report later, thanks everybody
Jan.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
My buddy struggles all the time with his old boy outdoors.Inside it's sweet. Outside my favorite is the slide lighter and the Zippo!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
You may be disappointed with the Thunderbird. To their credit, they immediately sent me a new insert, but it shouldn't have happened at all, and certainly would never occur with a Zippo.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
In my humble opinion, if you have an Old boy and a pipe insert Zippo, you can smoke in any place and will never need another lighter. Zippos reign supreme outside and the Old Boy is great indoors.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Zippo all the way. I have a 1942 replica with pipe insert and love it, just an american classic. I tried the thunderbird insert and it's a piece of shit. It worked for maybe a day and then would not light unless I cupped it with my hand and let the butane gather for a few seconds. It's been sitting in my drawer ever since. I think I spent 25 or so on my Zippo and with the lifetime warranty? Can't be beat. Plus it holds extra flint in the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.