Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Buyer Beware Ebay Member whizkidfbi

(69 posts)
  1. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Listed and sold an empty tin of Xmas cheer. Welcome to the Kyle Black and friends list.....

McClelland Christmas Cheer 2000 Pipe Tobacco Tin Rare Vintage Collectible See original listing
    McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2000-Pipe-Tobacco-Tin-Rare-Vintage-Collectible

Item Sold
    Condition:Used
    Ended: Mar 13, 2018 , 8:01PM
    Winning bid:US $160.00
    [ 21 bids ]
    Shipping: $8.00 Standard Shipping
    Item location:Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
    Seller:
    whizkidfbi
    (102 ) | Seller's other items

[b]Item specifics
    Condition:
    Used: An item that has been used previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections. See all condition definitions Country/Region of Manufacture: United States

Tin and label show no defects.

So yeh the seller sold exactely what was listed. Is he still a POS.....100% douchebag

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So what was it, just an empty tin?

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry, yes, I edited and added the details.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Caveat emptor, or caveat empty tin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Were you the unlucky recipent?

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, but I have been hosed by the Kyle Black and friends group. And it really pissed me off. This was in the other thread about rusty tins. I just headed over to ebay to get the details. Being that it did not say sealed anywere is a red flag and its a rather short description but the guy is still a turd....

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you know the buyer and that the tin was in fact empty?

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But it says " condition used".
    Did listing said "sealed" anywhere?

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How many transactions does the seller have and what is his rating?

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The piece of paper displayed, is it supposed to be inside the tin? If yes, than 100% buyer beware.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Creative writing is a skill. Read every detail carefully. There are scammers everywhere

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plus PP claim can help.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ peck, the below is a post from the thread "look carefully before you leap"

"I just heard from a fellow piper about a BAD deal he ran into on eBay.
    Basically, he paid about $160 for a tin of 2000 Christmas Cheer. THE TIN ONLY!!
    When confronted, the seller told him he got the collectible tin he paid for and that it was against the rules to sell tobacco on eBay.
    As the thread title says, look carefully. Then, read carefully. Use your brain and read what’s not being said.
    Ask questions of the seller and do not bid until you’re satisfied with the information.
    Don’t get in a hurry; other tins and other tobaccos are out there."

I just went on ebay to figure out who the seller was and to out him......

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ cigarmaster, it looks like his 1st tin sale. Not very active as a seller with good feedback before. Just thought to get his name out there in case he decideds to try it again.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ ben88,

"The piece of paper displayed, is it supposed to be inside the tin? If yes, than 100% buyer beware."

Guy is still a turd though. But it is funny though reflecting back to my recent trades....."is the tin sealed?", "is there damage to the tin?", "is there tobacco in the tin?".....frustrating that we have to ask.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is why guys like Pipestud get my business. I bought one tin of baccy off of eBay a few years ago and while it came with tobacco, the age was incorrect. At that time, eBay did not care, since it was supposed to only be a "collectable tin".

No matter how scummy Mr. Black is, it was a collectable tin. And nothing more.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's dicey on ebay validating if there is tobacco in the tin. Lots of auctions specifically say "vintage tin for sale" because ebay's policy on selling tobacco. The loophole is "hey buy this tin because it's a collectable on and by the way it's sealed with contents. (usually that is).

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

rx, hopefully the guy who got screwed will at least give him a negative rating and explain how he was screwed. Ebay might just delete the negative rating as he did deliver what he said he was going to, but it is worth a shot trying.

I have never bought a tin of tobacco on ebay and never will. Pipestud gets all of my business as I know what I am getting when I do business with him.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's one born every day..........

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

That's just low. What a complete sleaze.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ cigarmaster, buyer did leave a negative review.

@ ashdigger, Kyle Black is a different guy from a few yrs ago that did a lot more damage. I was just putting the new guy on KB's friend list lol.....

@ lazar, I concur....

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

Here's the listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2000-Pipe-Tobacco-Tin-Rare-Vintage-Collectible-/142713348651?hash=item213a60e22b%3Ag%3AevIAAOSwzGhan0~b&nma=true&si=ufDRVKr3yOF%252BwYZ1hn7GYbxW280%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Clearly intended to cheat, especially with the plastic lid on the tin. The "no defects" claim could be challenged, because having been opened is a defect.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Put a scratch inside and file the claim

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Often, when you want something badly, you overlook what should be red flags. It's happens to everyone, it's called being human. Couple that with someone who is essentially an honest, good person who couldn't comprehend outright screwing people and you have the perfect storm for a scam. $160 is a relatively cheap lesson. The no integrity scumbag seller will get his, just a matter of time. Living life with no integrity is s huge penalty on its own.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

Put a scratch inside and file the claim

Yeah, in a case like this it's totally justified to cheat the cheater!

Weird thing is, I've sold to a guy in Murfreesboro recently. No problems and he has a different member name, but I'll be wary if he bids on anything again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These guys take advantage of people who drop their pants and bend over. No excuse for that though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry but no where does it say a sealed tin. All it says is " Tin and label show no defects." The person who won didn't even realize his price was being jacked up by a guy with only one transaction. That is a sure sign of a shill being used. If I see something like that on a pipe I am interested in, I walk away immediately.
    The guy who ended up getting screwed isn't too bright if you ask me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. greider

greider

Login to Send PM

Shit move

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ cigarmaster, I look at it like Hoosierpipeguy,

"Often, when you want something badly, you overlook what should be red flags. It's happens to everyone, it's called being human. Couple that with someone who is essentially an honest, good person who couldn't comprehend outright screwing people and you have the perfect storm for a scam. $160 is a relatively cheap lesson. The no integrity scumbag seller will get his, just a matter of time. Living life with no integrity is s huge penalty on its own."

Yes, it does not say anywhere, "sealed tin but being sold not for its contents, value in the tin" BS as is the typical disclaimer for ebay. There was nothing less to disclaimer about. Seller is still a turd though....

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Listing was aimed at a gullible person. But no one has abandoned "buyer beware" policy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, with all of the hysteria surrounding the end of MCClelland and the teeth gnashing and flat out buying/selling panic, this was bound to happen.

Is he sure the label didn't slip off a tin of Vienna Sausages and get sold "for collector value"?

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually messaged the seller, he is rather defensive and justifys not refunding the money stating the buyer was not "remotely tactful" in their communication. That the buyer has "serious buyers remorse". REALLY what a surprise the buyer is pissed off.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawmax3

Login to Send PM

What a scumbag.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

rx2man, what hoosier said is nice, but I don't feel sorry for someone who is willing to shell out 160.00 for a tin of tobacco and doesn't do their due diligence. The fact that the seller showed the paper inserts should have told the buyer the tin was not sealed. Anyone who does not look at the bidding history of an auction and cannot tell when a shill is working it, shouldn't be on ebay at all. This buyer is all over ebay placing 65 bids on 19 different auctions and he is bidding only on collectible tins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

The other issue here is ticked off people drawing attention to tobacco sales on eBay cause of this jagoff...

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ cigarmaster, yes due diligence and all that, buyer beware....

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Living life with no integrity is s huge penalty on its own.

Well-taken. But I would add that such a person, although acting out continuously, feels that his life has been largely unjust and that his actions are justified, as everyone owes him, when in fact his actions show the reverse is true. The penalty that he pays is that much more reason to act out. Others accurately judge him, but as he can see himself no better than others, he hasn't guilt and is without reason to reform.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

saltedplug, I agree with your analogy. And that is exactly what makes it a shame. It's almost worse than consciously being a scumbag. It's similar to occasionally being unconsciously competent. So without any self realization, this punk has little chance to succeed or even have a happy life. He'll go through life being an entitled snowflake always blaming everyone else for his shortcomings.

Harris, I agree with your factual bluntness. It always takes two sides to make a scam work. Someone who is willing to pay $160 for a tin of tobacco is more open than most to being taken.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In about the item it says “A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). Please see the seller's listing for full list of details“

-
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
    C.S Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ uperepik you found a different listing below is the correct one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2000-Pipe-Tobacco-Tin-Rare-Vintage-Collectible/142713348651?hash=item213a60e22b:g:evIAAOSwzGhan0~b

On a positive note seller says he will refund minus ebay fees and postage. He says he actually bought the tin and thinks the buyer wanted something for free. I realize the old tins are worth money but I did not think anyone would buy these empty tins....I messaged rmpeeps so he cant get ahold of the buyer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ebay fees

if deal is cancelled, there are no fees to be paid. Seller just wants $16.

seller says he will refund

or, after getting back the tin, he'll claim that item he received back is different/damaged...

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Trading with ben88, philipa4 and lazar was so much easier then dealing with empty tins!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seeing the pics of the paper liner would have red flagged it for me.

As far as blaming the buyer, I don't think that's so, as some people are more trusting and unaware of scammers especially the older folks.

I bet we'll start to see more of this shit coming down the pike.

Good of you to help, rx2man.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Obviously the guy was being shady with his listing, and that low-feedback bidder is shady, but aren't the paper liners on top of the sealed metal lids to begin with? Not sure why those would be the tell that this was an empty tin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The paper insert on Christmas Cheer sits between the tin lid and the plastic cap -- has nothing to do with it being an open tin or not.

But for whoever bought it, glad to hear that he'll get most of his money back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess they are saying that since the paper liner was not shown being held up by the metal lid, it lends to the shadiness of the whole thing. Just a whole bunch of shadiness going on there. The seller is probably going on about how it says "tin" right in the title, and "What did the buyer expect?", and the buyer is left trying to get a refund by either admitting to Ebay that he is shopping there for tobacco, which might end up back-firing on him as well, or he's coming up with some other excuse as to why he wants his money back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess they are saying that since the paper liner was not shown being held up by the metal lid, it lends to the shadiness of the whole thing.

Oh, I see. I guess that makes sense.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

Trading with ben88, philipa4 and lazar was so much easier then dealing with empty tins!!

I guess you haven't figured out that those Eso tins I sent you are really filled with 1Q.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I guess you haven't figured out that those Eso tins I sent you are really filled with 1Q. :rofl:"

Thats not funny.....OK, yes it is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't see a problem with the listing. It says;

McClelland Christmas Cheer 2000 Pipe Tobacco Tin Rare Vintage Collectible

I don't see anything about "Sealed Tin" or "Un-opened Tin." It also says;

Condition: Used: An item that has been used previously. See the seller’s listing...

As you can see, it clearly says used, and used previously; which tells me it's been opened and is most likely an empty tin. Whenever I've looked at auctions for Esoterica blends or McClelland blends lately to see the craziness of people; I've almost always seen "Sealed Tin" or "New, unused, unopened" etc. My guess is the buyer got caught up in the McClelland Madness going on and didn't read the listing carefully and he got burned.

If you're buying something on ebay and you're not sure of its condition etc. then ask the seller a question before bidding. It's simple, and if the person doesn't answer your question its probably a good idea not to bid on that item.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe that ultimately, Ebay wants any proper tobacco container seller to show a completely empty container with no tobacco in the pictures, so the seller could be given a problem anyway, even if he was an innocent victim of shillers and whatever else was going on there. From what I understand, actual tin collectors do not value the contents, just the tins and the labels, even if it is open. If you have a tin with some rust inside, and the label/exterior is good, then the interior rust does not make as much difference to the value, from what I gather.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. rokerdepipe

rokerdepipe

Login to Send PM

Deplorable, the whole thing. The only (and I mean only) thing that would have gotten me to send a message to the seller was the fact that the inner paper cover was being shown. That's usually "inside" the tin and present when you open it, is it not? Or is it tucked under the plastic lid before you get to the pop top?

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I fail to see the problem. The listing was clear. The buyer didn’t read it and/or made assumptions without asking questions.

My outrage level stands at zero.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It says Collectible Tin in plain English. IMO the seller timed this perfectly...He knows people are so obsessed with anything McClelland's that they would jump on it without reading it properly. It reminds me a bit like putting buck lure out when hunting...The buck gets a whiff of it, throws caution to the wind and comes running in....

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn’t be quick to attribute intent on the part of the seller. He may very well know nothing about McClelland.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[/quote]I guess they are saying that since the paper liner was not shown being held up by the metal lid, it lends to the shadiness of the whole thing. Just a whole bunch of shadiness going on there. The seller is probably going on about how it says "tin" right in the title, and "What did the buyer expect?", and the buyer is left trying to get a refund by either admitting to Ebay that he is shopping there for tobacco, which might end up back-firing on him as well, or he's coming up with some other excuse as to why he wants his money back.[quote]

That was my thinking, yes. Who would remove the paper from the lid just to photograph it? It ssems to me that any ordinary guy would just snap a picture of the top of the tin with the paper in it's place. But he coudn't do that because the top tin was gone. He could have been creative and glued the paper to the plastic lid then put the lid back on.

It still seems scammy to me and I think the seller played out a good balancing act to lure in a unsuspecting desperate McClelland chaser. And yes, the seller did list it as "used" which kinda' covers his ass. The hungry buyer should have caught that as well and sent him a question regarding it.

With old GLP tins (2000-2004 and rust issues) I can see some sellers not knowing about the problems and honestly asking a price that the market bears but this "McClelland peek-a-boo empty tin caper" was a completely different scenario.

I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He may very well know nothing about McClelland.

I doubt it..........

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, if you go to “about this item” then hit “see all item conditions” it says new and unused. It’s not for another item, it’s for the $160 tin, however if he refunded then I guess all is well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, if you go to “about this item” then hit “see all item conditions” it says new and unused. It’s not for another item, it’s for the $160 tin, however if he refunded then I guess all is well.

I think you're seeing ebay's definition of terms, one of which is "new"; the seller listed this as "used."

But still, "caveat empty tin."

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whether he intended to or not, I think that we can all agree that he did not show the complete insides of an empty container in his pictures, which Ebay says they want, unless they changed that. For a while they were saying that you needed to show an empty container with no tobacco in it, if you wanted to list the container. Naturally the seller would be expected to ship the empty container and nothing else. It sounds like the seller is issuing some sort of refund to the buyer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

It's bizarre to me that anyone would think this was not an intentional deception. Sure you could argue that he didn't technically break any rule or overtly lie, but he wasn't exactly upfront either.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's the beauty of it !! He was upfront!! The buyer saw the bait and jumped on it...worked like a charm....

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ebay

Are any tobacco-related products allowed on eBay?
    Yes, there are some exceptions for items that don't contain any tobacco, such as collectible packaging, promotional materials and memorabilia. Smoking accessories that are traditionally intended for smoking tobacco products are allowed. Please read our full policy guidelines for all the details on which products are allowed.

Can I sell collectible packaging that still has some tobacco left in it?
    No. Any tobacco collectible packaging must be completely empty, with no tobacco inside the package.

Curious to see what the ebay rules actually are, they don't actually say that the pics have to show an empty container, but it talks about the packaging being completely empty, with no tobacco inside the package. I guess if the seller does not refund on his own, and ebay is OK with him selling his empty tins like that, that leaves the buyer claiming that he was expecting either a new sealed tin or a used unsealed tin containing tobacco, or coming up with some other excuse.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait until they start putting the 100g tin labels on the 15oz Armour Chili tins.

The chili tins are the exact same as the 100g McC food grade tins, sans the pull top ring.

As I've stated before, it'd take a real ****sucker to do this, but I wouldn't put it past someone so they could score a load of cash.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This whole situation reminds me a lot of when the Sony PS2 came out. It was the hottest video game console to have, and you couldn't find them anywhere. They were going for crazy money on eBay. Someone listed the box, just the box no contents, on eBay. The ad clearly said it was for the box only, but they ended up getting hundreds for it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

This whole situation reminds me a lot of when the Sony PS2 came out.

I remember that. October 26 2000. Everyone was piling in the department stores to get them. I went to a mall Electronics Boutique, they had 10 available, and bought 3. No one thought to go to a game store to find them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

10 PS3s, and probably 900 Dreamcasts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meant to say 10 PS2s and 900 Dreamcasts. Poor Dreamcast.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

pilotage16

Login to Send PM

I had a Dreamcast I thought it was great.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   birdnerd75, codecreatively, lawayna, dmcmtk