PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
When you see that estate pipe on one of the vendor websites you frequently peruse... Buy the pipe.
I know. You'll think about it. You'll ask yourself: do I really need it? There will be the guilt. You'll actually line it up: you'll be in the cart or have your email to the vender ready. Then you'll think the better of it. You'll "do the right thing" and walk away. You'll feel better for about 12-24 hours. You'll be proud that you didn't pull the trigger.
Then, within a day or two, you'll be back. On-line. Looking at it. You may even ask your wife or girlfriend: what do you thi k of this pipe? Then the ritual will repeat. You'll walk away.
But you'll be back.
This may go on for quite awhile.
Then, one day, that pipe -- that perfect beautiful little pipe -- will be gone.
Which means, explicitly, someone else will have bought it. It's not that you begrudge them. Good for them! You'll move on.
But not really.
You'll think about that pipe. From time to time. Sitting out on your front porch smoking some other pipe. Maybe a very nice pipe. But you'll think about that pipe. And you'll kick yourself for not pulling the trigger.
So just buy the pipe.
You'll never know when you passed on the pipe that'll keep you up at night.
Buy the pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I see a pipe that I know I will love, I do not hesitate. The last two estate pipes I bought took all of 2 minutes, I was worried that even though it was in my basket, someone else could have grabbed it. He who hesitates is lost, so buy the pipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Ah Perique, I feel your pain.
I was exploring the estates section of an online vendor and saw an awesome Scott Klein pipe that was just screaming at me. Now, I was in the midst of a commission with funds earmarked for that purchase, and was bidding on an online auction. So I flagged the page, and waited. Then went back to the site, and waited. Then went back to the site, and waited. Meanwhile I won the online auction. Then went back to that estate pipe; and waited. My commission finally wrapped up and I sent the payment into the pipe maker. I then went back to the estate pipe, and it was gone.
Yeah, so I'm a bit of a glutton. But I'll take two out of three.
Lesson learned. Don't go looking at other pipes, while you've got irons in the fire.
-- Pat

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
If finances don't stop me, I'll just buy the thing; I was uneasy about my Ashton because the photography didn't show off the colors properly, but I'm extremely happy I got it, despite the price tag--it was worth every cent, and I'll never find a pipe like that again.

May 31, 2012
No doubt about all this, no doubt.
I'm still sad and feel stupid for missing out onna whopper myself.

:crying:
On one of the most rarest of instances when I actually had the money and hit the right spot at the right time, I hesitated, contemplating, even though my heart was screaming yes! yes! yes! and my gut was sayin' go! go! go! -- I had to lissen to my dumb rational brain, what a moron me is, I've been reverberating with regret ever since.
This was the pipe:

http://www.briarart.com/0864text.htm
The Buy The Pipe! advice goes double for artisan pipes that suddenly pop up.
The window is usually small and there's a short frame of time to grab the gold, that pipe went very fast, but I did have an oppo to buy it, why oh why was I sucha slowpoke? From now on when I find somethin' solid I dig deep, I'll be a quickdraw mcgraw gunslinger fersure!
Another sad story,

on Mon. at Smokingpipes I had this pipe in my basket, only $50 plus the 15% off sale,

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=105217

...by the time I was finished filling my cart,it was already gone to another, and I was pretty fast too --- in my cart it still showed up, but as 0 quantity and unavailable, you snooze you looze!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Wow. Are you undergoing grief therapy now? I would be. I'm more glad than ever I got that Ashton.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am not so sure Perique. I do agree that if you see a pipe that you love - jump on it because it will soon be sold.
However, if there's enough doubt to not pursue the purchase immediately - regardless of funds - then you probably will regret the purchase later on (or least I usually have).

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I hear ya #6, an my post was partially tongue in cheek (partially...)
But if you change your mind you can always sell it. Very rarely, however, do you get another chance to buy it.

May 31, 2012
Yeah Roth,

that thing is a breath-taker!
Brian Ruthenberg
He's got one available right now, but I don't like silverwork,

and it's slightly more pricey, and the blast is not as severe:

http://www.briarart.com/0869text.htm

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
aww, jeez! you guys just convinced me to bite on a savinelli bulldog estate. no beadlines, of course :)
and i just HAD to get free shipping. 5 tins escudo and OGS

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Ha! I have this problem ALL THE TIME!!!!!!
I've started to figure out my budget amount and I now just buy the pipe. I just did so last night. I feel better. At least until the package arrives and my wife sees it . . .

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
But just remember what the man sang... If you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with :wink:

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Don't end up like me. Buy the damned pipe
Perique, that must have been a beauty.
Like most members here I'm sure, I've missed out on pipes I was eyeballing instead of buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.